Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
4,251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
*update*

We've since moved to our new home. The dog now has 10 acres of sagebrush to roam freely. She loves to explore outside of our property, which is OK too. Most of the neighbors also have dogs -- in fact, we have a really pretty yellow lab puppy neighbor that has decided that she likes our place more than her own!

Sally (our collie) has only been caught in a snare one time so far. Luckily, I realized she was gone and went looking for her. I found her just after dark with the snare around her neck with one leg. Lucky dog. She learned that the field she ended up in is not a good field to go under the fence.

More recently, she had another adventure. One morning she was just laying on the back patio, and did not follow my wife out to feed the horse. That was unusual. Upon my wife's return from the horse, she discovered Sally was soaked with blood, and had a large cut on her rear end. The vet discovered three more lacerations (4 in total!) - on her back, rump, belly, and leg. She was a mess! She has numerous stitches, and is doing much better today than last week.

We do not know what happened to her. Some things I think might have happened:
A. There is a hole in the wire mesh fence (thanks to the horses next door!) that the doges will use to get through the fence. Maybe she cut herself running through the fence? But 4 cuts all at once? That's odd.

B. Another dog. Sheep were moved in to some fields across the street two weeks ago. Some great pyrenees dogs are in with the sheep. I wonder if Sally went to check out the new neighbors, and got attacked by the sheep dogs?

C. Other wild animal?

D. Maybe she got tangled up in some old barbed wire?

·
Registered
4,830 Posts
That sucks. My guess is she went looking to play with the sheep and the pyrenees did their job or maybe she found a coyote, and she was able to put on the after burners and escape.

Things like that are the #1 reason that I personally never just let a dog roam free unattended and unconfined to my property.

Good luck to Sally and hope she heals up quick

·
Registered
16 Posts
Poor Sally:(((( I guess she might get tangled up in some old wire. Since the other animals are not attacking like that. The animals usually can't leave lacerations and cuts like that. It seems more that she got stuck into something, and she put pressure and force to get out, and wires sound more realistic. An animal bite would be more like deep holes left by their teeth. Hopefully, she will be better, and don't forget to pay attention to the changes in the breathing patterns. It will usually show if the dog is feeling okay or is having some issues. They are not people; they won't tell what hurts. Please be very attentive to their behavior to make sure that there won't be any other issues.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Pack -- yes, border collie.

She's great. i watched her yesterday from the window -- the squirrel obstacle course immediately came to mind.

(I'm living at my parents right now while our home is being built. This is a new yard to Sally. We should only be here for a couple more months. Then Sally will have all the freedom she ever wanted - and probably won't leave the porch!)

Yesterday she ended up in the neighbor's back yard behind us. Before we could go retrieve her, she just jumped the wall coming back.

The wood pile is actually against a compost bin made from cinder blocks. This bin is about 3' away from the perimeter cinder block wall. Sally climbs the wood pile to the top of the compost bin, then walks then jumps the span to the perimeter wall. She then proceeds to walk the permiter, steping over / under tree branches until she gets wherever she is trying to get to.

I watched her do this, and made sure to give her a scolding. She knows she shouldn't be up on the wall now. As added insurance I placed some 5 gallon buckets (with water) on top of the compost bin. So now the question becomes: does she accept the challenge?

This should be fun. I need to get the camera moved so I can get more video of the real action.
My shorthair was a fence jumper. 6 ' cinderblock walls didn't slow him down. I solved the problem by getting an electric fencer from IFA and stringing a hot wire right at nose height a foot out from the fence. Never got out again after that.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Poor Sally:(((( I guess she might get tangled up in some old wire. Since the other animals are not attacking like that. The animals usually can't leave lacerations and cuts like that. It seems more that she got stuck into something, and she put pressure and force to get out, and wires sound more realistic. An animal bite would be more like deep holes left by their teeth. Hopefully, she will be better, and don't forget to pay attention to the changes in the breathing patterns. It will usually show if the dog is feeling okay or is having some issues. They are not people; they won't tell what hurts. Please be very attentive to their behavior to make sure that there won't be any other issues.
Sorry dude, but when a dog gets into a fight with a coyote they don't usually have deep puncture hoes, they actually usually are all cut up. I have lots of experience with this growing up on a ranch in Idaho. Coyotes kill by slashing and tearing with their canines.

·
Registered
49 Posts
update

We've since moved to our new home. The dog now has 10 acres of sagebrush to roam freely. She loves to explore outside of our property, which is OK too. Most of the neighbors also have dogs -- in fact, we have a really pretty yellow lab puppy neighbor that has decided that she likes our place more than her own!

Sally (our collie) has only been caught in a snare one time so far. Luckily, I realized she was gone and went looking for her. I found her just after dark with the snare around her neck with one leg. Lucky dog. She learned that the field she ended up in is not a good field to go under the fence.

More recently, she had another adventure. One morning she was just laying on the back patio, and did not follow my wife out to feed the horse. That was unusual. Upon my wife's return from the horse, she discovered Sally was soaked with blood, and had a large cut on her rear end. The vet discovered three more lacerations (4 in total!) - on her back, rump, belly, and leg. She was a mess! She has numerous stitches, and is doing much better today than last week.

We do not know what happened to her. Some things I think might have happened:
A. There is a hole in the wire mesh fence (thanks to the horses next door!) that the doges will use to get through the fence. Maybe she cut herself running through the fence? But 4 cuts all at once? That's odd.

B. Another dog. Sheep were moved in to some fields across the street two weeks ago. Some great pyrenees dogs are in with the sheep. I wonder if Sally went to check out the new neighbors, and got attacked by the sheep dogs?

C. Other wild animal?

D. Maybe she got tangled up in some old barbed wire?

Looks like the results of a battle with one or 2 coyotes.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts