Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I had up all the years to draw Pronghorn, LE deer , LE elk it will have taken me almost 20 years.... This is all archery... I am yet to draw on the elk but odds say next year is a slam dunk... how many years did it take some of you to go through the "normal" ones?? I know there are many factors as areas, type of weapon ect. This is just the standard draw.. don't count auction tags and such.....

·
Registered
609 Posts
I drew my LE bull tag with 13 pts, I have a couple pronghorn points now (I was stupid in high school putting in for just whatever) and I have 3 LE deer points. I anticipate optimistically a total of 22 years for just my elk and deer permit. If I get lucky and draw a deer permit earlier than the next 7 years, I will likely try my luck at pulling an archery pronghorn permit. If it takes me 10+ pts to draw deer, I will likely move back to elk after till I draw again (if I ever draw again). So my optimistic potential "normal cycle", all things considered will probably be close to 40 years! It's hard to use deer or elk opportunities on pronghorn in Utah when Wyoming is so dang close!:)

Reactions: johnnycake

·
Registered
32 Posts
The first draw I applied for was in 1993. I drew an any weapon pronghorn tag in 1997 with 4 points, an any weapon LE deer in 2012 with 12 points, and drew a muzzy elk tag this year with 6 points. 22 years from the first application.

·
Registered
47 Posts
In 2012 it took 15 points to draw the Early Rifle LE on the Manti.:(

·
Registered
6,608 Posts
1991- Pauns'y deer, archery
1992- Wasatach elk, Avintaquin any weapon
1993-Bookcliff elk, anyweapon
1997- Pauns'y deer, dedicated hunter,all 3 seasons
2004 - Anthro elk, archery
2005- Plateau antelope, archery
2006 - Thousand lakes deer, archery
2009- Plateau antelope, archery
2014- S Slope Yellowstone moose, Any weapon. ( used bow )
2015 - Plateau antelope, archery

In the same time period,
3 bear permits, 3 lion permits, 6 LE turkey permits.
Wyoming antelope, Nevada deer.....

I'm probbly forgeting one or two,,,,,Plus my wife and kidds have drawn a bunch.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
. I am yet to draw on the elk but odds say next year is a slam dunk...
My older brother has applied for an archery Boulder elk tag every year for now 13 years....2 years ago every person with his same number and points and higher drew a tag except him. Last year, again, every person with the same number of points as him and higher drew except him. Now, again, this year he has not drawn that tag.

There are no slam dunks!

By way of comparison both myself and my younger brother drew the same tag with 1 point...

·
Registered
394 Posts
I drew the Wasatch rifle elk tag in 2007 with 12 points I think. After my unsuccessful letter this year I have accumulated 8 LE deer points...I expect to use them within the next 3-5 years. I won't be putting in for antelope in Utah unless they change the system.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
I drew the Wasatch rifle elk tag in 2007 with 12 points I think. After my unsuccessful letter this year I have accumulated 8 LE deer points...I expect to use them within the next 3-5 years. I won't be putting in for antelope in Utah unless they change the system.
I drew an LE elk tag, LE deer tag, and LE antelope tag all within 5 years....my LE deer and antelope tags were drawn during my waiting period for elk, and my LE antelope tag was drawn in my waiting period for deer! NEVER say "never"!

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
it took me 3 years to draw my first antelope tag. then I had to wait two years. Now i got 7 points for antelope,13 for moose,5 for elk, 2 for deer. Im hoping to start knock this off the list.

·
Registered
73 Posts
LE Elk - 1998
OIL Moose - 1999
LE Deer - 2004
LE Elk - 2013 (turned tag back in due to family emergency)
OIL Mtn Goat - 2014

Smokepole

·
Registered
622 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
2009 le deer rifle 9 points
2012 le elk archery 2 points
2014 le deer rifle 1 point (expo tag elk archery)
2015 antelope muzzy 0 points
I have had a good run:)
11 years to draw all three... and a bonus on top of that.... I don't think you could draw it much faster than that!!!!!

better take your run to Las Vegas!!!

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
2000 - LE archery elk Panquitch 6 points
2004 - LE archery speed goat Southwest desert 2 points
2012 - LE muzzle deer Paunsy 4 points
2015 - OIL - bison hunters choice (big surprise) 14 points

And I'm right there for LE archery elk again. Could of had this year if I had wanted it. I have 8 points.
I've been pretty lucky. Won't hear me complain.

I forgot to add -
Have had a couple of good cougar tags in the 90's.
I drew one of only 5 Tags of the first year they had a Rio Turkey hunt in Utah in '91.
Have had a bear tag when they were hard to get.

·
Premium Member
2,741 Posts
1998 Vernon Deer
2008 Oil Moose
2012 Dedicated Hunter Deer. (LE in my book)
2013 Oil Bison
17 points and counting for Elk but I have been on many GREAT elk hunts. Love the Uintas and would most often rather help friends and family on their LE hunts than hunt myself anymore.

One bear tag in Utah. A few turkey tags. No cougar.

Its all good.

Never have put in for pronghorn in Utah. Wyoming is too much fun and a good get away.

Hunt bear in Idaho quite often.

Reactions: stillhunterman

·
Registered
155 Posts
I drew a LE paunsaugunt muzzleloader elk tag in '09 with 4 points and drew a LE dutton/paunsaugunt archery antelope tag in '11 with 3 points. After being unsuccessful in this years draw I now have 4 points for LE deer.

·
Registered
6 Posts
2009 le deer rifle 9 points
2012 le elk archery 2 points
2014 le deer rifle 1 point (expo tag elk archery)
2015 antelope muzzy 0 points
I have had a good run:)
I think W2U is going to be hard to beat on this one. 4 years to hit all three LE tags is impressive.-----SS
I've been giving bckhntr a hard time about drawing drawing all 3 in 4 years. Good to know he isn't the only one. W2U had a total of 3 pref points and bckhntr had 4, but bckhntr also drew an LE Elk expo tag in the same time. Anytime you aren't able to put in for any LE tags because you are on a waiting period for all 3 is impressive!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts