Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Depends on how good of a job you did caring for the meat before it got to him. If meat is bad, dirty or contaminated when it gets to them they will cut it off and toss it aside. They won’t cut and wrap meat that’s bad just to have you get sick and end up blaming them. I’ve heard of butchers tossing up to 3/4 of an entire elk because of poor field care.

·
Registered
546 Posts
I took 227# and got back 184#

i think they are decent numbers for both but wanted to get a benchmark
That's a great return.

I took 4 quarters from a cow elk to a guy in st geoege and got 53lbs back. I was so pissed off, the meat was very clean and well taken care of.

But I also learned to do my own meat unless I am really short on time and I can get the while animal to the processor.

After they let a skinned quarter age they have to trim a lot of the dried meat off the quarter because it was skinned.

·
Registered
2,396 Posts
You did well. I do my own and figure a 1/3 return on whatever the live weight of the animal was. If you gave him boned-out meat and only lost 40-50 lbs, they may not have trimmed it up as good, but so long as it tastes good, who cares??

·
Registered
66 Posts
You did better than average for sure. I do my own since I'm particularly fussy about how I like my meat cut up, ground into burger, etc. Its a lot of work, but no one has ever said my meat "tasted gamey" or bad. What did it cost you? That is what I'd like to know. That cost gives me the motivation I need to do it myself!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts