Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in a tough position because 2 years ago I had found a cow stuck in a big mud pit on a guy's property. He was there the whole time and after we got it out he determined it would not live and would need to be put down. I offered to do it (since I was armed that day). He then told me that I could come hunt his property for ducks. Regrettably, I never took him up on his offer, and now, two years later, I really want to try it this year. How should I go about asking?

·
Registered
9 Posts
MallardH, I'd use the direct approach and tell him the following:

'You might not remember me, but I was they duck hunter who was there when your cow was stuck badly in the mud. At the time, you'd offered me a duck hunt and I'll admit that was a great offer. You might have made that offer in the heat of the moment, but a day doesn't go by that I don't think about it. It has been several years and I regret not contacting you sooner, but it IS tough finding quality places to hunt ducks. Your place is still of interest to me and I'd like permission to hunt it with my buddy next week.

We are experienced duck hunters and will respect your land. We will even post some no trespassing signs if need be, or help with some chores around your place to show our appreciation. We are not freeloaders and wish to earn our hunts.'

If I was him, I'd certainly listen to you and consider your request...especially in light of our prior meeting regarding the cow in the mud! Good luck, and please post some pics if you score some ducks.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
I'm in a tough position because 2 years ago I had found a cow stuck in a big mud pit on a guy's property. He was there the whole time and after we got it out he determined it would not live and would need to be put down. I offered to do it (since I was armed that day). He then told me that I could come hunt his property for ducks. Regrettably, I never took him up on his offer, and now, two years later, I really want to try it this year. How should I go about asking?
A case of beer of a bottle of whiskey works in Canada.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Same way you would ask for anything else, by asking a question. I'm sure he would remember you after something like that.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts