1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
I'd say 28 29 inch maybe 30.

·
Registered
240 Posts
he is only 29 3/4" definitley not a shooter. Now where did you see him? It isn't the way I was hoping to fill my tag, but we need to get him out of the gene pool. We all have to do our part. :wink:

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Huh, I've always measured spread on the main beam. Greatest spread = rubber tape. :wink:

·
Registered
6,021 Posts
I've seen a ton of 30 inch bucks in my day and he's WAY bigger than any of them! I'd say he's got to be pushing 40 inches! :mrgreen:

·
Registered
609 Posts
I put him in the 30 -32" range.

·
Registered
789 Posts
I haven't hunted big game for quite a while.
For the longest time, at least 15+ years ago when I hunted deer, folks estimated way over with a lot of guys calling a 30" buck a 40" buck or worse.
For the folks that have chimed in so far on this thread, it seems to me to be underestimating from what I know and use to estimate the deers spread.

The width between a typical muley's ears is about 20". If its antlers are as wide as its ears, the buck would more than likely have about a 20" spread, give or take an inch and in some cases two.
Using this estimation tool I'd say it was 34-36". Where did I go wrong with my estimation??

·
Registered
238 Posts
TEX-O-BOB said:
I've seen a ton of 30 inch bucks in my day and he's WAY bigger than any of them! I'd say he's got to be pushing 40 inches! :mrgreen:
Im not exactly sure if Tex is being cynical or not but that buck is a nice deer but he is not 40 that is for sure. Just because i fella convinces his wife that an inch is a foot doesnt mean it really is. LOL.
IMO that deer is right on the fence for being 30 he could be slightly over he could be slightly under either side its gonna be close, still a nice deer by all means.

this is buck is almost 40 inches (i think he misses it by like an 1/8 of an inch or so), he was shot by my friends dad a long time ago. If you look at this pic next to the posted pic its not even close!

1 - 20 of 46 Posts