Utah Wildlife Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Administrator
21,353 Posts
shootemup said:
TEX-O-BOB said:
I've seen a ton of 30 inch bucks in my day and he's WAY bigger than any of them! I'd say he's got to be pushing 40 inches! :mrgreen:
Im not exactly sure if Tex is being cynical or not but that buck is a nice deer but he is not 40 that is for sure. Just because i fella convinces his wife that an inch is a foot doesnt mean it really is. LOL.
IMO that deer is right on the fence for being 30 he could be slightly over he could be slightly under either side its gonna be close, still a nice deer by all means.

this is buck is almost 40 inches (i think he misses it by like an 1/8 of an inch or so), he was shot by my friends dad a long time ago. If you look at this pic next to the posted pic its not even close!

Hey, that buck looks familiar. Is that a southwest Wyoming buck?

31 1/2". I'll bet a quarter.

·
Registered
96 Posts
Great Buck. Deer ears can be decieving and as a general rule of thumb I judge them between 22"-24". On this buck that is what I thought and after he hit the ground the ears were 26" wide. I think the buck in the picture is well over 30" and a shooter no questions asked.

Here is the buck with the 26" ears.

His outside spread is 29.5"

·
Registered
749 Posts
So I saved the picture and then opened the picture with Paint Shop. I measured the ear width with a ruler, and then the outside antler spread. I came up with 4 3/4 inches on the ears and 7 inches on the antlers. the difference is about 32%. So using a figure of 22" on the ear width, the antlers would be 29" wide. :D

·
Registered
1,216 Posts
Califbowmen said:
Maybe 28 or 29 inches and still a great buck. I'd pass on shooting him for the first few days of the hunt.
Why on earth would you pass on a buck like that :roll: I would take him and be a very happy man.

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
bowhunter3 said:
Califbowmen said:
Maybe 28 or 29 inches and still a great buck. I'd pass on shooting him for the first few days of the hunt.
Why on earth would you pass on a buck like that :roll: I would take him and be a very happy man.
+1 on that. Then again, I don't hunt antlers on account of all the antlers I have sitting in the back of the closet. My wife is very against me hanging a mount in any home we may eventually own let alone the apt we're in now. She said, "If we ever have a home big enough to have your own 'man space' you can mount all the animals you want." I told her the whole place is my "man space"... That didn't go over so well.

·
Registered
2,570 Posts
stablebuck said:
you should tell her to use her "inside voice" before you put her outside... 8)
+1!!!!!!

·
Registered
238 Posts
wyogoob said:
Hey, that buck looks familiar. Is that a southwest Wyoming buck?

31 1/2". I'll bet a quarter.
Wy that deer was shot here in good old utah on the wasatch front.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts