Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The place that I normally hunt is at about 10,000 feet in the south eastern region of the state. Normally the deer are up that high on the hunt, but we normally don't have snow this early either. How much snow does it take to push the bucks down to lower ground? According to a friend there is about 8 inches right now where I normally hunt.

·
Registered
359 Posts
What area of SE Utah are you hunting??? I believe your buddy is measuring the snow with the same ruler he used to convice his wife he was swinging nine inches!!!!

·
Registered
30 Posts
it will effect me alot if it snowed it would be alot easier to find these deer in the south alot better. the southern unit sucks this year.

·
Registered
2,182 Posts
Man, how I wish I was going out with you guys. I love hunting in the snow. But there isn't enough snow to move the big bucks yet. They don't care about less than 16" of snow right now. What they care about now is putting on weight, so if they have a good food source, they'll stay put.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Your buddy is full of chit!!!! Hwy six, at the summit has light dusting to NO snow. Fairview canyon the same. Twelve mile at the nipple mabey two inches. Salina canyon at the top a skiff to none. Fishlake the same. Vail pass in Co, snowing like SOB right now!!!!!! and 26 degrees. Saturday there is supposed to be a big storm lasting threw sunday, come prepared.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good to hear! He went down there about 2 weeks ago after it snowed last, so it has probably melted. I hope their isn't alot of snow because I have scouted up high not down low.

·
Registered
483 Posts
It's been some time since I chased the elusive muley (archery elk has taken my time) but I used to pray for early snow. Find yourself a good lookout point and stay put. As the sun rises and moves across the sky the shadows will disappear and often give clues to what your looking for. Big bucks usually go nocturnal and will stay bedded during daytime hours so climb into those bino's and be patient while you glass for what could be revealed.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Snow? How will it affect my deer? Hopefully there will be enough to cool it down quickly after I dress it out on Sat. morning :D Good luck to you all.

·
Registered
359 Posts
My wife didn't need a ruler to know it is little. I pulled it out (the ruler) and she just laughed, although she was impressed that I could count out 9 millimeters!!!!!!

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Less hiking and more glassing. Look those hillsides over 3 or 4 times before you dismiss them.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.