Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am new to using fish finders. I used it for the first time last week on Scofield. It was nice to detect fish at different depths, but I couldn't see my jig on the screen while ice fishing. Can someone help me, do I need to change an setting on my fish finder?

·
Registered
167 Posts
Turn your sensitivity up and take the pics of the fish off and make it so they look like a banana if you know what I am saying. Then your jig will be a solid line across the screen. Thats how mine works anyway.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
There are a few things that you need to reset to ice fish.
First, keep the finder inside with you while traveling to keep it warm.
Set the depth setting to manual and then adjust it so that you are showing the bottom setting closest to the actual bottom. If you are fishing in 23' of water, set the finder setting to 30'.
Put the sensitivity setting on manual.
Adjust the sensitivity as high as needed it in order to see your jig. Sometimes I have to set mine as high as 95% in 40' of water.
Be sure that the transducer is at 90 degrees to the water. You may have to move it a little to find your jig.
As was already said, turm off the fish signal and watch for an arch to show as your jig and also as fish.
Always keep the finders light on to keep the screen warm.
If you are fishing close to another finder, you may get interference and you will have to put up with it or move. You can lower your sensitivity to help with interference but it will make seeing your jig harded.
Screen speed should be on fast and ping setting also.
When you are back home, always recharge your battery after every use, for long life. [Gell or small sealed acid batteries]

·
Registered
289 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the replies to my post. Sorry for spamming. I wasn't sure which catagory was best for a quick solution. My son left today for Strawberry.

·
Registered
13 Posts
I had the same problem when I used the skimmer transducer last year. It needs to be aimed right which is kinda tough when it's mounted to pvc or whatever. This year I got the ice fishing transducer, which hangs vertically from a float, similar to a vexilar. It works much, much better.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts