Utah Wildlife Forum banner
181 - 200 of 212 Posts

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I have a whole bunch of hummingbirds at the cabin now.
They are going thru all 5 feeders in 2-3 days. Two of the feeders are double sized.
It's entertaining to watch them play king of the hill trying to lay claim to a feeder.

But, I haven't seen the orange Rufus the last 2 times I've been there.
Hope he comes back around.

·
Administrator
21,853 Posts
Had 11 or 12 hummers for awhile; Broad-tailed, Black-chinned and Rufuos. Now there's 3; 2 Broad-tailed and a male Rufuos. Got me where they went.

Reactions: Al Hansen

·
Administrator
21,853 Posts
Easiest way to tell difference between a Broad-tailed and a Black-chinned; Black-chinned hummingbird beak is proportionately longer and slightly curved.

·
Registered
4,458 Posts
those tanagers are neat. Next year, put out some orange stuff -- or even real oranges.

Question for the hummingbird experts -- background info first:
We built our house in the middle of 10 acres of sage brush. So, when i put two feeders out on the back porch in July, I was surprised to have hummingbirds show up within 24 hours and start using them. We'd have about 6 at a time buzzing around. Then we had the rains. Along with the rains came the flies. My hummingbird feeders are now covered with flies, and our back porch is a mess with them. So, the feeders went into the garbage. The birds are mad at me.

Did I just have cheap feeders leaking too much sugar-water and attracting flies?
Should I purchase different feeders that won't attract the flies? Any suggestions?

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I've never had any problems with flies on my feeders. I had to put ant blocks on mine at the cabin, they love the feeders. The hornets and the wasps like the water in the ant traps is that issue.
I try to stick with a good glass feeder. They seem to work better drawing them in. They always empty those first, and then hit the plastic ones. (Don't know why). And they are easier to clean and keep the syrup fresher. I have a couple of bigger plastic feeders and they definitely get cloudy and slimy faster.
The birds seem to be leaving already this year. I was filling all 5 up every other day for a while. This week only a couple are empty that fast.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
I keep having them fly into the big picture windows above the deck at our at the cabin. 3 already this summer. Have quit washing the windows so much so maybe the will see them..... hasn't worked.

·
Premium Member
4,060 Posts
Didn't research this but FWIW

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT:
on Behalf of Hummingbirds:
This hummingbird is unable to retract her tongue due to fungal spores that have germinated on her tongue or in her gullet caused by folks mixing honey or anything other than plain white sugar with water. She will die because she can no longer feed.
If you have feeders, PLEASE USE ONLY PLAIN WHITE SUGAR in your mixture of 1 part sugar to 4 parts water. No organic or raw or brown sugar, no powdered sugar, no honey, no artificial sugar. Use plain white sugar/water mixture which is most similar to actual flower nectar. And no toxic red color liquids such as koolaid etc.. !
Change the sugar water mixture every couple of days, especially during high temperatures, as it will start to ferment if it sits out for days on end.
If you can't or won't do this, please do not put out a feeder at all.
Hand Bird Hummingbird Pollinator Beak

181 - 200 of 212 Posts