Utah Wildlife Forum banner

101 - 120 of 152 Posts

·
Administrator
21,316 Posts
Seen my first hummer at the Polar King Restaurant in Coalville UT this evening.

Reactions: one4fishing

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I put my feeder up the other day and still haven't seen or heard a hummingbird.

But, we were sitting on the front porch a dusk last night and had 5 or 6 humming moths buzzing the flowers in the planters next to us. They were not bashful at all.
They are about the same size as a hummingbird and have the same shape and wing speed.
They are not nearly as pretty though. Habit a couple of them last year around. More of em this year.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
But, we were sitting on the front porch a dusk last night and had 5 or 6 humming moths buzzing the flowers in the planters next to us. They were not bashful at all.
They are about the same size as a hummingbird and have the same shape and wing speed.
They are not nearly as pretty though. Habit a couple of them last year around. More of em this year.
Wow... I had to google that. I always thought those were Sphinx Moths. They look awfully similar:

https://www.insectidentification.org/insect-description.asp?identification=White-lined-Sphinx-Moth

-DallanC

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
I'm pretty sure that 2full is talking about sphinx moths. They are pretty cool in their own right.

(Way) back when I was dating my wife, we were leaving an event in or near the Luxor hotel in Las Vegas. It must have been some sort of migration because there were thousands of them flying around, crashing into the windows and falling, dazed, to the ground. They would then shake it off and fly away.

As Goob would say, second darndest thing I ever saw.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
Crazy... I've never seen one in the day time. We used to see them on the cottonwood trees next to our house in the night time, or they would be landing on things in the early evening hours.

Kindof startling how big they are if a person hasn't seen one before. Probably gives people with Moth phobia's nightmares :mrgreen:

-DallanC

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Kindof startling how big they are if a person hasn't seen one before. Probably gives people with Moth phobia's nightmares :mrgreen:

-DallanC
The worst thing is when you splat one on your windshield while driving. It looks like someone hit your windshield with an ice cream cone.

·
Registered
9,817 Posts
The worst thing is when you splat one on your windshield while driving. It looks like someone hit your windshield with an ice cream cone.
Ever drive at night in an area with lightning bugs? Green glowing guts all over the windshield... lol

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
The ones I saw didn't look quite the same as the Sphinx moth shown in the link.
I'll have to video them and take a closer look tomorrow night when I'm home.
Reading thru the info it sounds like they about have to be the Sphinx one though.

·
Registered
4,208 Posts
Ever drive at night in an area with lightning bugs? Green glowing guts all over the windshield... lol

-DallanC
We have. It was the first time everyone in our family had ever seen fireflies. We thought it was the coolest and were mesmerized. The whole family broke out singing the "Fireflies song" by Owl City. Good memories.:)

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Finally had a couple of hummingbirds on the feeder this am.
A male and a female. Hopefully the nest is close by.

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
Yesterday, finally.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Made it up to the cabin today on the 4 wheelers
Was quite a ride getting in, but made it.

The humming birds are already there. Had a couple buzzing us on the deck. Put the feeders out for them. Was good to see them. Hope they stick around.

Put up the trail cams and put out a couple of salt licks as well.
Some elk track around. Saw a few deer.
Was a very nice day !!

Ran into the County road supervisor at the Y. He said they are going to start cutting the road across the top on Monday.
Will be into the cabin in trucks next weekend.
Yippee and Skippie.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
We usually get a couple western tanagers this time of year in our yard. But this year we got a new visitor. I know this picture is terrible -- we just haven't been able to get a good picture of him. But it looks to me like a Bullock's oriole (New World). the orange on this bird is absolutely brilliant!

101 - 120 of 152 Posts