Utah Wildlife Forum banner

121 - 140 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
we are pretty close to the airport, so we do get a good amount of air traffic over the house. On Saturday they were using the East / West runway, so a few came directly over the house pretty low.

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
Humming birds arrived at the end of April here in Paradise. Then a major flock of Evening Grosbeaks along with black headed Grosbeaks. The Orioles arrived right afterwards and have gone thru a 1/2 bag of oranges already. Probably the best bird year in the 15 years I have been here so far.

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
The Orioles arrived right afterwards and have gone thru a 1/2 bag of oranges already.
Is that the trick?

half an orange and set it out for them to find?
what about the yellowjackets?

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
Humming birds arrived at the end of April here in Paradise. Then a major flock of Evening Grosbeaks along with black headed Grosbeaks. The Orioles arrived right afterwards and have gone thru a 1/2 bag of oranges already. Probably the best bird year in the 15 years I have been here so far.
We haven't had Evening Grosbeaks before this year. We have a flock of about 6 that hung around for the past 2 weeks. The males are gorgeous and might just end being my favorite backyard bird. And today a white crowned Sparrow showed up. I haven't noticed one of those before.

Hummers are hitting the feeders daily now.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
I need to do something different. All I have are Magpies, Starlings and European doves.

We did have a sighting of a squirrel running along the power lines in the back yard. I may have inadvertently brought him home last summer from a trip to the mountains. I going to blame the neighbors. :smile:

·
Registered
2,358 Posts
I have a nail pounded in some would then slap the 1/2 orange on it. They also love grape jelly. I don't have a lot of problem with the oranges but do have to kill some big ants.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
Feeder has been up for over a week now. Haven’t seen any humming birds on it, but I’m also not watching it all day.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
We’ve got our first hummingbirds hitting the feeder! (At least that we’ve seen.)

This one that keeps coming by tonight appears to be mostly black. No idea on species.

·
Registered
396 Posts
Put out my feeder out the other day haven't seen any in the evenings yet maybe the are feeding in the mornings however in the past I would see them in the evenings feeding. "Social Distancing" or what!

·
Registered
3,924 Posts
Red hot pokers are blooming. It won't be long before the trumpet vine blooms too. We should have birds all over soon.

but we're moving out Saturday. So we'll miss out on the birds. And the cherries. Peaches. garden. all of it.

On the plus side, I've got a lot of sagebrush. The skunks are moving. I get crows. Even some turkey vultures if I bait the hummingbird feeder with dead rabbit. It's going to be fun learning new!!

Reactions: Critter

·
Premium Member
4,248 Posts
I've got a nest right above my front door, they have gone back inside the eves. Everytime I go out the front door I get attacked by one. I'll leave it be till they are done.:mrgreen:

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
So my wife mocked me when I bought a hummingbird feeder. But now she gets so excited to see them, so who is laughing now?!?!?

Really, I’m glad I clicked on this thread and was convinced to buy a feeder. It has been really fun to watch them. I’m laying in my hammock looking at two on the feeder as I type this. They are cool little birds.

I don’t have a pic, but these are much lighter in color and seem noticeably smaller than the black-chinned male we’ve had all year. They seem less aggressive and skittish as well.

·
Registered
2,762 Posts
Be careful it is a slippery slope. Humming bird feeder then regular bird feeders and then the chipmunks and squirrels start. Pretty soon you have those sneaky snakes coming in looking for a handout.

·
Registered
6,531 Posts
We live close to the river, so we get plenty of snakes already! But a squirrel ninja warrior course may be in order soon.... :)

Looks like these other birds I’m seeing recently may just be female black chins. Have three birds buzzing around the back yard tonight.

121 - 140 of 152 Posts