Utah Wildlife Forum banner

141 - 152 of 152 Posts

·
Registered
1,956 Posts
Discussion Starter · #141 ·
I don't have a pic, but these are much lighter in color and seem noticeably smaller than the black-chinned male we've had all year. They seem less aggressive and skittish as well.
Look up pics of the Broad-tailed hummingbird. Those and the Black-chinned are the most common. The other one you may see is the Rufous. The male Rufous are cool looking with orange/red/gold throats.

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
I love to be on the deck of the cabin with the morning coffee (or the evening beverage). I have 4 feeders right off the deck they hit very well.
I filled all 4 of them,and the one in back of the cabin Weds.
When I got back to the cabin yesterday, 4 of the 5 were empty and the other 1 was maybe 1/2 full. They have been very thirsty lately...…...

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
I've had the problem of yellowjackets chasing the hummingbirds off the feeders. I found this gadget at the local Ace Hardware. This is the second morning and it seems to be working.

Attachments

·
Registered
277 Posts
The only ones I've seen were in the Mt. Naomi wilderness area!

·
Registered
415 Posts
I'm excited for their return as well. We hung up two feeders in the yard last year for the first time, and they entertained us all summer. Occasionally we'd get as many as 8 or 10 at once.

·
Administrator
21,316 Posts
From last year:

Reactions: JerryH

·
Administrator
21,316 Posts
We have 4 kinds of hummingbirds here in Western Wyoming/Eastern Utah; Broad-tailed, Black-chinned, Rufous and Calliope. Normally I get all 4 varieties. A few years I won't see a Calliope. For years the store at the Lucerne Marina on Flaming Gorge Reservoir had a bunch of hummingbird feeders out on the deck. Often all 4 species of Hummingbirds could be seen there at the same time. With the black bear problems the Feds frown upon bird feeders and the marina may have few, if any, feeders out.

During the latter one-half of the hummer season I've reduced the number of hummingbird feeders and the number of times filling each feeder by replacing them with perennial flowers; Bee Balm, Cardinal Flower and especially Orange Trumpet (Zauschneria garrettii). The hardy and deer-resistant Orange Trumpet is the best and is in full bloom till way after fall migration.

Zauschneria, say "sauce-ner-ria"

141 - 152 of 152 Posts