Utah Wildlife Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
I know a way y'all can hunt up to 5 bucks, any bull elk, bull moose, sheep, 2 mountain goats, and then some every year if you want...
Yeah, yeah...we all know...move to Alaska... 🙂

·
1,666 Posts
Or most of us would turn into Fisherman.

Salmon, Steelhead, Halibut, Ling Cod, Rock Fish, Shrimp, Crabs, Mussells, Clams, Grayling, Trout, etc.

Who has time to hunt when you can fill the freezer fishing?

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
Or most of us would turn into Fisherman.

Salmon, Steelhead, Halibut, Ling Cod, Rock Fish, Shrimp, Crabs, Mussells, Clams, Grayling, Trout, etc.

Who has time to hunt when you can fill the freezer fishing?
I read that while eating a nice lunch of sauteed porcini from the Kenai peninsula and Cook Inlet razor clams in a cream sauce with snow peas from my daughter's "garden." You've got a bit of a point there...but the best thing is that you can just combine them with a bunch of spectacular blast and cast trip options.

Why choose when you can just get a bigger freezer (again)?

·
1,666 Posts
Pennsylvania absolutely proved that antler restrictions work. They moved away from almost total yearling harvest and they get to hunt 4 or 5 deer seasons every year. Success rate is low but good hunters do well.

https://www.pgc.pa.gov/Wildlife/Wil...edDeer/Pages/AntlerRestrictionsAreTheyWorking.

Wait time on our buck tags will increase as many more people migrate to Utah. It is easy to see 6 year wait times if we don't change.

Today will be "back in the day" in 2040.
There is a difference between Mule Deer, Whitetailed Deer, and Elk management when it comes to APR.

https://www.themeateater.com/hunt/whitetail-deer/do-antler-point-restrictions-work

To Quote the Article

"APRs don't produce many trophy bucks," Heffelfinger said. "They're good at creating more 2½- and maybe 3½-year-olds. That might be fine for elk hunters and Eastern whitetail hunters, but that's not what most hunters want from mule deer." Jim Heffelfinger Arizona Game and Fish Department and a research scientist at the University of Arizona

Heffelfinger said hunters also accept APRs more readily if they can shoot a doe or cow, but mule deer herds in many Western habitats don't offer such safety valves. He said an easier, more sustainable way to produce bigger muleys is to restrict license sales, which Western hunters accept but Eastern hunters reject.

·
1,666 Posts
I read that while eating a nice lunch of sauteed porcini from the Kenai peninsula and Cook Inlet razor clams in a cream sauce with snow peas from my daughter's "garden." You've got a bit of a point there...but the best thing is that you can just combine them with a bunch of spectacular blast and cast trip options.

Why choose when you can just get a bigger freezer (again)?
At some point your options will outweigh the amount of time that you have off. Lol

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
All the fish and clam talk... lemme tell ya, the absolute BEST tasting fish we brought back from our Juneau trip this past fall were a few huge Pacific Cod my son caught. We took him up for a graduation trip (he graduated with a 3.94).

He caught lots of everything, but when we boated the first cod, he didnt know what to think. The captain asked "Keeping it or tossing it?" LOL... my son looked at me in bewilderment, I simply asked "Do you like fish sticks? Thats cod". He grinned and in the fish box it went. Oddly I've NEVER been on a boat that caught a pacific cod let alone caught one myself... well 20 min later he reeled up another one.

Salmon is good, Halibut is great... but lemme tell you, I'll take fresh pacific cod any day over any any other fish. Its amazing every meal. We have very little left :) Its interesting they are a stinky fish, but I guess so are halibut.

Anywho back to our regularly scheduled UWN arguing. :mrgreen:

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
9,659 Posts
Talking about Alaska, just remember how nice it is when winter sets in and you forget what the sun looks like.

But summers are nice if you can avoid the flies and mosquitoes. But then that is what head nets are for:rotfl:

·
Registered
9,967 Posts
Talking about Alaska, just remember how nice it is when winter sets in and you forget what the sun looks like.
Agreed... at Barrow. But Ketchikan isnt much different than Seattle.

But summers are nice if you can avoid the flies and mosquitoes. But then that is what head nets are for:rotfl:
Oh jeeze. Me and Packout were fishing a small stream near Soldotna when the sun went down... idk what the hell the little bugs were that came out in clouds in that failing light, but those SOBs had TEETH, tiny bugs, but bit like a deer fly. It was MISERABLE... but the fishing was too good to stop. Coho and dollys.

I immediately bought headnets when I got home from that trip.

-DallanC

·
Super Moderator
9,659 Posts
Agreed... at Barrow. But Ketchikan isnt much different than Seattle.

-DallanC
But who wants to live in Seattle?

I visited there a few times when I was working and decided that I didn't need to go back.

On Ketchikan they get a whole 7 hours of daylight on 12/21

·
Registered
4,602 Posts
It would become easier to draw a tag here in Utah.:mrgreen:
I gotta get that desert sheep tag somehow ;)

Dallan, sounds like no-see-ums. Hate those things.

Yeah how terrible it is to be up here in the winter. The ice fishing options are overwhelmingly numbers and the catching wears your arms out. The snowshoe hare, grouse, and ptarmigan seasons and bag limits are way too liberal. Pure misery. And don't even get me started on the annoying green and purple shifting lights in the sky that keep you awake at night.

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
All the fish and clam talk... lemme tell ya, the absolute BEST tasting fish we brought back from our Juneau trip this past fall were a few huge Pacific Cod my son caught. W

Salmon is good, Halibut is great... but lemme tell you, I'll take fresh pacific cod any day over any any other fish.
I took my wife and kids out a couple years ago in California. We were catching rock fish. Of everything we've ever eaten, my wife still talks about how good those rock fish were. Easily her favorite.

so, how many rock fish did you turn loose with your son that day??

101 - 117 of 117 Posts