Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
961 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hunted this afternoon at the GSL and now my Remington 1100 has some spots on it from the salt spray. When I got it out of it's case at home to clean, the barrel had rust spots and lots of salt on it. It cleaned up pretty well, but now it has spots on some places on the barrel and receiver. I tried using WD-40 and Hoppies #9, but nothing took them out. Any suggestions on what would restore the blueing to its original, spot-free luster?

·
Registered
2,175 Posts
Tried bore cleaner and a shammy?

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
My 1100 was the worst....then the 870 started doing it...I used 'Gun Slick' , the small tube that used to come with cleaning kits. Put it on like wax and rub it in with a soft cloth. And then, of course wipe it off.
Water spots are sometimes hard to remove. After a few hard lesson's myself, I started drying the gun the best I could before I put it in the case. When I got it home I would dry some more before I put it away...

·
Registered
449 Posts
AHH the GSL and rust spots on guns....

Best thing is to prepare from the start. WD-40 is a good product, but it has really no use around guns (it offers virtually no lasting protection). Before you head to the big salty pond, wipe your gun down with some 'sno-seal' (like the boot sealant :wink: ) or other wax based protectant. Don't put a wet gun into a gun case for more than an hour. Take an old dry towel with you (in the vehicle I mean), upon return to the car, wipe off your gun before you case it. Take your gun out, and take it apart as soon as you get home. Dry is good, wet is bad. Even if you don't get to cleaning it soon, at least you'll stop (slow down) the oxidation process from ruining the finish.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts