Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
215 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi. Just wondering how many bowhunters actually wear the required hunter orange on the extended when there are rifle hunts going on? If you do, how does it affect the animals when you're that close to them? I for one have to admit that at times I've hunted when I hunted on the extended in areas when I should be wearing orange but haven't. But that's probably because where I'm at I don't see hardly any other hunters. Anyway, I was just curious if you wear the orange or not and how you think it affects the animals when you're bowhunting them wearing hunter orange. Utbowhntr

·
Registered
26 Posts
I do wear hunter orange when I hunt the extended hunts if there is a rifle hunt going on. Number one it's the law and number two I definitely don't want some idiot mistaking me for a deer or elk. From what I know about deer and elk, they don't see colors or at least not to the extent that we do. They would see the hunter orange as a light colored blob, so I'm sure it affects my being seen. That being said, I'd rather be safe than sorry...

·
Registered
1,784 Posts
Elk Addict said:
I do wear hunter orange when I hunt the extended hunts if there is a rifle hunt going on. Number one it's the law and number two I definitely don't want some idiot mistaking me for a deer or elk. From what I know about deer and elk, they don't see colors or at least not to the extent that we do. They would see the hunter orange as a light colored blob, so I'm sure it affects my being seen. That being said, I'd rather be safe than sorry...
I agree 100%.....Camo is more for the eye of the hunter than anything else....honestly, I've been just as close to big deer and elk not wearing camo as I have wearing camo. It's not what you wear when you hunt so much as HOW you hunt. Stay down wind, don't move unless you have to and be ready for the shot. That is what will make your hunt a success not what kind of camo you are wearing or what brand of scent elimination you spray on. I wear the orange for the simple reason that my wife and kid want me to come home alive, not dead. Not to mention that it is the law and as an ethical (assuming you care about that) hunter, I obey the law.

·
Registered
210 Posts
Actually, I think the law states that you must wear hunter orange if there is a rifle hunt going on in the same area. I do not believe that any rifle hunt areas crossover into the area designated for the Extended Archery Hunt. I may be mistaken, but again, it never hurts to be careful and wear the orange anyway.

·
Registered
623 Posts
Some is in, some is out, if you are north of I-15 wear orange, if you are south of I-15, you can still hunt naked, and I don't mean 'still hunt' as in creep through the woods so that when you come to a guy that has been sitting in a tree stand he ask's are you still hunting? I mean that you can still as in continue to hunt naked, you don't need orange.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
tapehoser said:
Actually, I think the law states that you must wear hunter orange if there is a rifle hunt going on in the same area. I do not believe that any rifle hunt areas crossover into the area designated for the Extended Archery Hunt. I may be mistaken, but again, it never hurts to be careful and wear the orange anyway.
They have an east canyon/davis/NSL cow elk hunt that runs for two months or so, as well as a cow/bull moose in the same unit. General elk and the Northern rifle deer hunt hunt cross over too. I wonder if cougar hunts are considered rifle hunts? There is one tag for a bear in the same unit as well in the fall. I may be wrond on the date, but the Willard peak goat hunt crosses over a bit as well.

Be careful out there. It's ok if some other twerp gets shot, but no one from this forum please. :p :shock:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Question, on the extended south of I-80 during the Once in a Lifetime hunts, is orange REQUIRED? If not, why? Is it not a "rifle" hunt?

PRO

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
Yes, it's required during the any weapon hunt.
So, since ALL O.I.L. hunts are any weapon, there ARE times that orange IS required south of I-80! Hmmm, I wonder how many do so. :?

PRO

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
Shoot, Most don't wear orange north of I-80. I know I am guilty and my rational was that no one in there right mind would hunt any of those hunts where I was and I was on private property. But it's still against the writing of the statute/law.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
Shoot, Most don't wear orange north of I-80. I know I am guilty and my rational was that no one in there right mind would hunt any of those hunts where I was and I was on private property. But it's still against the writing of the statute/law.
A law I do NOT like, but like you said, "it's still against the writing of the statute/law", whatever a 'statute' is. :mrgreen:

PRO

·
Registered
730 Posts
I do not and will not wear orange....PERIOD!!!

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
wapiti67 said:
I agree. I don't even like bow hunting, I only do it because the hunter orange clashes so much with my hiking boots.

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Treehugnhuntr said:
wapiti67 said:
I agree. I don't even like bow hunting, I only do it because the hunter orange clashes so much with my hiking boots.
How sweeet and cute.

PRO

·
Registered
730 Posts
true it does clash with my boots...but it clashes with my wanting to stay alive and it goes against all good sense to make a target of yourself for the "Dorks" shoting at you.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
How many of you have had people shooting at you while wearing the orange?? Just a curiousity thing.... With all the idiots running around out there on the general hunts, I'd be afraid to be in the field most places.... wearing orange or not.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts