Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just drew the currant creek any legal weapon fall bear tag that runs Aug 20 - Sept 26, Oct 29 - Nov 17, 2016.

I have gone through the guide book and cannot find anything about wearing orange. Does Utah require rifle bear hunters to wear orange? I have seen a bunch of videos of guys in Utah hunting bears with a rifle and they are all in Camo.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Page 5 of big game book
Wearing hunter orange: You must wear hunter orange if you are in an area where a centerfire rifle hunt is occurring. For detailed information on Utah’s hunter orange regula- tions, please see page 33.
Since bear is a sub book of the big game hunting all rules of big game apply to all bear hunts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Page 5 of big game book
Wearing hunter orange: You must wear hunter orange if you are in an area where a centerfire rifle hunt is occurring. For detailed information on Utah's hunter orange regula- tions, please see page 33.
Since bear is a sub book of the big game hunting all rules of big game apply to all bear hunts
So every deer and elk bow hunter in the Currant creek area has to wear 400 inches of blaze orange for the enire bow hunt because 6 of us have any weapon bear tag that runs at the same time? That would also include all hunters that drew an Archery LE bull elk permit for the Wasatch Mts and hunts in the currant creek area?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Seems like an error on the DWR's part then. That means bowhunters on the beaver, book cliffs, cache, central mountains, chalk creek, pahvant, Monroe, mt dutton, nine mile, three corners, panguitch lake, Boulder mountains, fishlike, diamond mountain, and the entire wasatch unit have to wear orange during their bow hunts this year.

·
Registered
1,376 Posts
Or could help a bow hunter from being shot due to a hunter not identifying his or her target.
I agree it's not convenant for the bow hunters and most probably are not aware of the crossed seasons. But it does clearly state during a center fire rifle hunt all must where orange.

·
Registered
1,184 Posts
trclements, I don't know the answer to your question but I would send a quick email to the DWR and ask them directly.

The OIAL hunts are exempt from the orange regulation (unless of course another hunt in going on at the same time), the bear hunts could fall under a similar category allowing bear hunters to wear camo if no other centerfire rifle hunt is going on at the same time.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
It's never a bad thing to check and make sure, but the law seems pretty clear on this one.

Utah Code 23-20-31

There are exceptions for Archery, ML, and OIAL species hunts, and "as provided by a rule of the Wildlife Board."

Like derekp1999 suggested, check with the division; there may be an exception falling under section 23-20-31.3b that exempts bear hunters or bow hunters hunting during a rifle bear season. But, if there's nothing in the proclamation stating the exemption, I'd bet there isn't one.

·
Registered
9,980 Posts
Whats really funny is there is no requirement that the "orange" has to be your top visible layer. It only says you have to have 400 inches worn. Stick a camo shell on over your orange and you are still legal... stupid perhaps, but still legal.

-DallanC

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Or could help a bow hunter from being shot due to a hunter not identifying his or her target.
I agree it's not convenant for the bow hunters and most probably are not aware of the crossed seasons. But it does clearly state during a center fire rifle hunt all must where orange.
When I said it was a mistake on the part of the DWR, I meant they made a mistake scheduling rifle hunts durning the bow hunt.

I am not arguing that the law says that you have to wear orange. I thought that was rule as well. But the fact that the bear proclamation doesn't reference orange anywhere and that the big game proclamation doesn't reference bears at all I thought they might be regulated differently. Just like furbearer, cougar, turkey, upland game, and waterfowl all have their own set of proclamations and rules.

I did call the DWR and the young girl that answered didn't know the answer so she put me on hold for 10 minutes, then referenced the rule in the big game proclamation about center fire hunts. When I pressed her if that meant all bow hunters would have to wear orange this year she said yes as far as she understands the rule. Now how well she understands the rule may be up for debate.

Maybe Amy can give us her perspective on this...

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
When you call a division office and talk to whoever answers the phone you will find that you will get a different answer just about every time that you call when you get a different person. At least this person went and found what the answer is in the book.

Also if you look at any of the draw guide books you won't find any reference to "orange". You need to go to the Big Game Field Regulation book or download to learn just what the rules and regulations are for any of the big game hunts.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
When I pressed her if that meant all bow hunters would have to wear orange this year she said yes as far as she understands the rule. Now how well she understands the rule may be up for debate.
The rule is very clear. Whether she understands it is not up for debate. Give her some credit for looking it up.

There is no exception listed for the bear hunts. Archery and Muzzleloader hunters technically are required to wear orange if there is a centerfire hunt going on in the same unit as their archery hunt. That's the law.

Whether it is enforced is what is up for debate. CO's and other LEO officials may turn a blind eye to this seemingly questionable law. But the law is very clear. A centerfire rifle hunt requires orange, with a few exceptions. The bear hunt isn't one of those exceptions.

This isn't new. There have been bear hunts during archery hunts for many years.

·
Super Moderator
9,666 Posts
I just looked and the 2016 Big Game Field Regulation book isn't out yet, so they may be changes for the orange requirement in it. You'll just have to wait until it is out to find out.

·
Registered
4,008 Posts
I just looked and the 2016 Big Game Field Regulation book isn't out yet, so they may be changes for the orange requirement in it. You'll just have to wait until it is out to find out.
Not necessarily.

Again, just look at the code: http://le.utah.gov/xcode/Title23/Chapter20/23-20-S31.html?v=C23-20-S31_1800010118000101

keep in mind, the regulation books are not the law, but rather just summaries to help hunters. If you want to see the actual law, click the link above. You don't have to wait for the guide book to come out. The law RIGHT NOW says that archers need orange if a bear hunt overlaps the archery hunt.

·
Registered
3,058 Posts
Whoa, there Pardners! There is NO requirement to wear hunter orange for a bear hunt, ever! That's why there isn't anything mentioned. ALL hunter orange rules apply ONLY for Big Game hunts, and bears (cougars, upland game, waterfowl, and furbearers) are not Big Game and have their own separate regulations and guidebooks. The Black Bear Proclamation IS NOT a sub-book of the Big Game Guidebooks.

Utah Code R657-5-Taking Big Game:
R657-5-1. Purpose and Authority
(1) Under authority of Sections 23-14-18 and 23-14-19, the Wildlife Board has established this rule for taking deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, bison, bighorn sheep, and Rocky Mountain goat.
(Bears are not mentioned.)

Utah Code R657-33-Taking Bear:
R657-33-1 Purpose and Authority.
(1) Under authority of Sections 23-14-18 and 23-14-19, of the Utah Code, the Wildlife Board has established this rule for taking and pursuing bear.

Wear hunter orange if you chose, but it's not a requirement.

Edited: per the link above:
Utah Code 23-20-31 Requirement to wear hunter orange - Exceptions
(2)(a) A person shall wear a minimum of 400 square inches of hunter orange material while hunting any species of big game, except as provided in Subsection (3).

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Whoa, there Pardners! There is NO requirement to wear hunter orange for a bear hunt, ever! That's why there isn't anything mentioned. ALL hunter orange rules apply ONLY for Big Game hunts, and bears (cougars, upland game, waterfowl, and furbearers) are not Big Game and have their own separate regulations and guidebooks. The Black Bear Proclamation IS NOT a sub-book of the Big Game Guidebooks.

Utah Code R657-5-Taking Big Game:
R657-5-1. Purpose and Authority
(1) Under authority of Sections 23-14-18 and 23-14-19, the Wildlife Board has established this rule for taking deer, elk, pronghorn, moose, bison, bighorn sheep, and Rocky Mountain goat.
(Bears are not mentioned.)

Utah Code R657-33-Taking Bear:
R657-33-1 Purpose and Authority.
(1) Under authority of Sections 23-14-18 and 23-14-19, of the Utah Code, the Wildlife Board has established this rule for taking and pursuing bear.

Wear hunter orange if you chose, but it's not a requirement.

Edited: per the link above:
Utah Code 23-20-31 Requirement to wear hunter orange - Exceptions
(2)(a) A person shall wear a minimum of 400 square inches of hunter orange material while hunting any species of big game, except as provided in Subsection (3).
Thank you. This is the response I have been looking for. That was my understanding that bears weren't technically classified as big game in Utah and as a result they have separate laws, regulations, and a separate proclamation.

Thanks for clearing it up and showing the Utah Code that clarifies it.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts