Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know that this should probably be under the General Hunting forum, I need some feed back quickly. I am looking at getting my daughter started on her Hunters Education tonight. I would have liked to got her in on a in class course but there were not any in our area that we could attended. With the online course you have the option of taking the class for 4 separate sources (IHEA, Huntercourse.com, Hunters-ed.com, and HuntersEdCourse.com). All of them but the IHEA charge an extra fee to take their course. I was wanting to know what one you guys used for your youth and if you felt the extra cost was worth it?

Thanks

400bull

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I know that this should probably be under the General Hunting forum, I need some feed back quickly. I am looking at getting my daughter started on her Hunters Education tonight. I would have liked to got her in on a in class course but there were not any in our area that we could attended. With the online course you have the option of taking the class for 4 separate sources (IHEA, Huntercourse.com, Hunters-ed.com, and HuntersEdCourse.com). All of them but the IHEA charge an extra fee to take their course. I was wanting to know what one you guys used for your youth and if you felt the extra cost was worth it?

Thanks

400bull
Can't help you. When I took my grandson we went to the one day course at Lee Kay. Spent the whole day there but it was worth it to get it done, over with and his certificate.

·
Registered
3 Posts
My boys used IHEA. The difference I saw was that with IHEA, you will just read text and then take quizzes, versus having it narrated with animations. I think the paid options are more interactive.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
My boy took his at Cabelas along with neighborhood friends. Did the shooting Req at Provo gun range.

-DallanC

·
Registered
278 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I was going to try and get my daughter into a class that starts tonight in Lehi. Do to other commitments I will not be able to get her there tonight. Last time I checked there was not another class scheduled in Utah County. I think I will use the IHEA site and see how it goes.

Thanks

400bull

·
Registered
812 Posts
I used hunters-ed.com with my son last year and liked it quite a lot. There's a ton of sections in it, but it's all narrated and he seemed to like it. You can do as much as you'd like at any sitting. It took us a while to finish as we'd do a little every couple of days. We then scheduled a field day with the group from this link. He was top notch in my opinion... He does field day classes and is very good with the kids. With my work schedule, and high school sports that I coach, this was the absolute best option for me. Will be getting my next son and wife through over the next couple of months. Check it out! The website is very informative!

http://www.papabearent.org/

·
Registered
548 Posts
I used hunters-ed.com with my son last year and liked it quite a lot. There's a ton of sections in it, but it's all narrated and he seemed to like it. You can do as much as you'd like at any sitting. It took us a while to finish as we'd do a little every couple of days. We then scheduled a field day with the group from this link. He was top notch in my opinion... He does field day classes and is very good with the kids. With my work schedule, and high school sports that I coach, this was the absolute best option for me. Will be getting my next son and wife through over the next couple of months. Check it out! The website is very informative!

http://www.papabearent.org/
My daughter just finished her field day after taking this course. It is long and thorough and the video interaction is much better for youngsters who have short attention spans. I think it was worth the few extra dollars.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
My sons have taken it at the Orem Rec Center-- classes and shoot there. I just find it nice for the kids to see that others do this too. Very good experience for them. So not much help to your question-- but it would be best to see what is required by the shooting instructor you plan on using.

·
Registered
681 Posts
If is it's anything like our area, as the draws get close you will start to see the conventional classes offered. We had 3 in the first couple of months last year. My son and daughter attended together and I felt they learned more in a classroom setting than they would have looking at a computer screen, but I understand sometimes its just not reasonable to find a course.

·
Registered
95 Posts

Thanks

400bull
I teach the hunter ed classes at Cabela's and Sportsman's Warehouse in Provo. There is a field day scheduled for this coming Saturday November 21st. If you would like to get your daughter into the class, let me know by emailing me at [email protected]

To answer your initial question, it doesn't matter which course you take. There are differences in the presentation of the information but all 4 cover the material that will be tested on. I would suggest saving your money and take the free IHEA course. Part of the field day is a classroom portion that will re-emphasize important information from the online section. in addition we cover topics that were not discussed online. If the field day on the 21st doesn't work for you, we will be having classes at both Cabela's and Sportsman's in December.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts