Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well went out for an afternoon shoot after school with my dad and little bro. It was amazing. I have not seen this number of ducks; including opening day. We went through a ton of shells and I ended up with 6 my dad with 5 and my little bro with 4. Lots of teal, a couple of shovelers (not quite to full plumage but closest I have seen yet), 2 drake pintails, 2 drake mallards and the only hen for the day a hen pinny. We could have easily filled all our birds but we stopped shooting and just watched the birds come in. We watched them land in our decoys and fly so close you could almost hit them with your gun when they flew by. We wouldn't have used as many shells as we did if we would have waited just another fifteen minutes. At times they sky in the distance would turn black with birds and then the flocks would come over. Alot of the birds were on the edge of being out of range so we held and waited for some closer birds. The flocks came from every direction and while you were watching one flock three birds would come over you from the rear and almost hit you as they came by. My dog made a 100 yrd retrieve after a bird that locked and sailed way out there. It was a beautiful thing to watch. He locked onto the bird when I shot and followed it the whole way. About the time it hit the ground he was nearly there and then chased it about 10' on the ground while it tried to get airborn again. The bird had no success getting up as the dog jumped and brought it down. I wished I would have had a video.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts