Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys and gals I wanted to share some of my fitness journey with you. I've always been semi-fit but have been at my worst they last few years. I kinda kicked myself I. The butt last fall but still had a lot of room to improve. By chance I saw this guy asking for guinea pigs for his 10 week fitness program for mountain hunting 11 weeks ago. I've lost 22lbs and gained muscle for sure. He had me in the gym twice a week and a workout at home once. Weighted packs were one other day. I truly feel way fitter and can't wait for fall.

Here is the link to his program.

https://joshnordwick.leaddyno.com/

It's pretty spendy but I am glad I did it now.

If you have any questions let me know.

·
Registered
3,349 Posts
I don't know your age, but for sure, you're a year older this year. Ridgetop is absolutely correct about fittness. Hunting is a action sport and the fitter you are, the more you will enjoy your hunt. At 72, I start about two months in advance of the hunt. Nearly any fitness program will work if you do the work. Congrats and good hunting for many years to come.

·
Registered
5,130 Posts
I don't know your age, but for sure, you're a year older this year. Ridgetop is absolutely correct about fittness. Hunting is a action sport and the fitter you are, the more you will enjoy your hunt. At 72, I start about two months in advance of the hunt. Nearly any fitness program will work if you do the work. Congrats and good hunting for many years to come.
72!!! Way to go BP.
I hope I can make it to 60.:shock:

·
Administrator
21,915 Posts
from the Strenuous Life by Teddy Roosevelt:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Chapter VI - Character and Success:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Bodily vigor is good, and vigor of intellect is even better, but far above both is character. It is true, of course, that a genius may, on certain lines, do more than a brave and manly fellow who is not a genius; and so, in sports, vast physical strength may overcome weakness, even though the puny body may have in it the heart of a lion. But, in the long run, in the great battle of life, no brilliancy of intellect, no perfection of bodily development, will count when weighed in the balance against that assemblage of virtues, active and passive, of moral qualities, which we group together under the name of character; and if between any two contestants, even in college sport or in college work, the difference in character on the right side is as great as the difference of intellect or strength the other way, it is the character side that will win. 2 Of course this does not mean that either intellect or bodily vigor can safely be neglected. On the contrary, it means that both should be developed, and that not the least of the benefits of developing both comes from the indirect effect which this development itself has upon the character.

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif].

[/FONT][/FONT]

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
One word Gentlemen: POWERLIFT

If you want that spooked deer to stop and look back so you can make that last second shot you need to be able to lift heavy. Nothing catches a spooked deer's eyes like chiseled calves and pecks ;-). Ungulates have a natural respect for bench press, squats, and deadlifts, but only squats where you go all the way down, bum to the ground guys, proper form. :D

·
Registered
11,155 Posts
from the Strenuous Life by Teddy Roosevelt:

[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Chapter VI - Character and Success:[/FONT]
[FONT=Times New Roman, serif]Bodily vigor is good, and vigor of intellect is even better, but far above both is character. It is true, of course, that a genius may, on certain lines, do more than a brave and manly fellow who is not a genius; and so, in sports, vast physical strength may overcome weakness, even though the puny body may have in it the heart of a lion. But, in the long run, in the great battle of life, no brilliancy of intellect, no perfection of bodily development, will count when weighed in the balance against that assemblage of virtues, active and passive, of moral qualities, which we group together under the name of character; and if between any two contestants, even in college sport or in college work, the difference in character on the right side is as great as the difference of intellect or strength the other way, it is the character side that will win. 2 Of course this does not mean that either intellect or bodily vigor can safely be neglected. On the contrary, it means that both should be developed, and that not the least of the benefits of developing both comes from the indirect effect which this development itself has upon the character.[/FONT]
That is great! I love Teddy Roosevelt, a true mans man.

That guy got shot during a speech, demanded they bring the shooter to stand before him, then asked in what in the hell he did that for. Teddy then stood there with his hand plugging the hole, and talked for NINETY MORE MINUTES to the gathered crowd, giving his entire speech.

Balls-O-steel, tough as nails.

-DallanC

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I'll second what CAexpat said, fitness is 80% what you eat and 20% exercise. Your body can't function correctly on crap and garbage...gotta fuel it right! I'm still trying to figure it out. Thank goodness I have a wife that is really into eating healthy! If it were me on my own, I think greasy hamburgers and fried foods would probably rule the day :)

·
Registered
843 Posts
So what do you guys do for the exercise part? I have started running a few times a week and doing the normal push-ups and sit-ups. Plan on starting to go on hikes once a week. Just curious what else people do to get/stay in shape other than expensive programs, that I am sure are great just not in the budget right now.

·
Registered
1,453 Posts
So what do you guys do for the exercise part? I have started running a few times a week and doing the normal push-ups and sit-ups. Plan on starting to go on hikes once a week. Just curious what else people do to get/stay in shape other than expensive programs, that I am sure are great just not in the budget right now.
As was stated Raptorman-->you need to POWERLIFT

All it takes is a $10/month gym membership, or you could work out a deal with an old junk yard and lift heavy truck axles, either is acceptable. The key is to lift and to specifically lift heavy. Your POWERLIFTING weight should be 5X your body weight as a minimum. I will also reiterate that you need to go down all the way on your squats, only like 5 people in my gym do this, so make sure you do, otherwise your hunting prowess will suffer.

As you can see, I POWERLIFTED my way to the top of the page. Also POWERLIFTING must always be capitalized--forum rules

·
Registered
416 Posts
The key is finding something you like doing. If you hate it, then you are going to be at least 5.6x less likely to do it. haha but really just find something that gets you moving. I like swimming so I do that a couple of times a week to help with my lungs and then I like to get out and either do trail runs or hiking. Especially for hunting it is important to train at least in part in the mountains just because the terrain is so much different than running around the park in your neighborhood. My wife prefers running on the treadmill which is a lot better than nothing but she stills dies slightly when we go hiking because she isn't used to the hills and altitude shift.

·
Registered
514 Posts
I've been trying to go on a hike once a week, and then I've been jumping rope and trying to do some High Intensity Interval Training Intervals. My hikes are down with my two year old daughter on my back, so I'm hardening my shoulders in for a pack.

I feel like this is a good start, but I want to mix in some cycling once I get my bike fixed, but I think Bekins24 recommendation of swimming is a good one. Nothing reminds me how bad of cardio shape I'm in like swimming.

·
Registered
7,908 Posts
Cycling and swimming are great for cardio. Running flat sucks! I hate hate hate running. I'm not a great swimmer. So my cardio usually comes on my bike.

But I will say this, nothing gets you in 'hunting shape' like being in the hills and mimicking what you'll be doing while hunting. Bekins24 nails that perfectly. If you really want to be in hunting shape, and you're not spending time hiking in hunting type places, you will come up short.

Signed,

The overweight and out of shape guy

·
Registered
514 Posts
Cycling and swimming are great for cardio. Running flat sucks! I hate hate hate running. I'm not a great swimmer. So my cardio usually comes on my bike.

But I will say this, nothing gets you in 'hunting shape' like being in the hills and mimicking what you'll be doing while hunting. Bekins24 nails that perfectly. If you really want to be in hunting shape, and you're not spending time hiking in hunting type places, you will come up short.

Signed,

The overweight and out of shape guy
How dare you forge my signature!!!

·
Registered
301 Posts
Yes, for those of us who get off the road, fitness is important. If your body is not prepared for the HR spike that hits when you kill an animal, and then have to properly pack that animal out, you're going to have a bad time.

You don't have to go buy a bunch of crap off an infomercial or some fairy dust your neighbors wife sells to sprinkle on your dinner, simply eating real food and doing some form of physical activity that you enjoy will pay dividends on the mountain. If you can get on the mountain 1-2x per week that's great.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Tons of good hikes on the east side of Ogden.
Basically every canyon has a trail up the bottom and a couple that run north south connecting everything.
Weber Pathways has a map that shows most if not all of them. I believe the map can be found at any location that sells granola and woven hemp sandals.

·
Administrator
21,915 Posts
At 65 I have trouble staying in shape, keeping fit for the ptarmigan hunts. So I pick up litter on 27 miles of the Mirror Lake Highway from June thru October. It's great exercise and it's "at elevation". Anyone can help, and there's no charge. I'll even buy lunch. :)

Power Lifting:

1 - 20 of 46 Posts