Utah Wildlife Forum banner
21 - 40 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,362 Posts
Yeah...training in the mtns where the conditions are real HAS to be part of your regimen, or you will come up short. Case in point, my wife and I did a 9-mile roundtrip to a local for a quick overnighter. The 4.5 miles to the peak is 95% up, Up, UP. She exercises 5-6 days (twice as much as I really do) a week and I gave her a really light pack. She came back and was twice as sore as me! It gave me just a small degree of vindication. :)

·
Registered
2,223 Posts
I've always been blessed (lucky genetics) with a lean figure, huge lungs and excellent health. Couple that with an active lifestyle = staying in shape has never been an issue. At 62, I'm still in better condition than a lot of guys half my age. But I've definitely noticed that I've been slipping in the last couple of years.

Broke my knee cap last year and the muscles atrophied - still haven't fully recovered. And I have major surgery coming up in a couple of months. So I bought an elliptical bike today. I know - people who buy those things usually don't use them for long, which is why I was able to get a (barely) used machine for dirt cheap. But if I can summon up a little discipline and form a daily routine, I expect it will help build my leg AND increase my aerobic capacity...exactly what a hunter needs. Fingers crossed.

·
Administrator
21,923 Posts
Picking up litter along roads up in the high country can be a drag and you may not be tuning up the right "hunting muscles" bending over and picking up thousands, perhaps millions, of Mountain Dew cans. Just not much happening with the upper body picking up trash.

So I suggest going out to the lake and using the rowing machine. About 3 months a that and you'll be ready to lug around one a those 11lb long range rifle thingies and your solar powered cell phone battery charger.

uh....trolling for granddaughters

Reactions: Airborne

·
Administrator
21,923 Posts
Goob,

I'm surprised you haven't put an outboard on that thing yet!
Yer a funny guy. This craft is for floating the rivers, although looking back at all the small outboards I ever owned, new and used, pulling on a rope starter for hours is prolly better exercise than a little rowing. :)

Hey, I have boats with outboards, thanks. Outboards are complicated. Besides, it takes me about 6 days to get my big boat on the water, not counting getting insurance(s), trailer licenses, AIS stickers, AIS inspections, and the WY boat registration.

Besides the exercise in futility working on my cuddy cabin boat is also a lot of physical exercise. After 6 solid days of crawling in and out of the thing I'm too frigging tired to go fishing. Then I gotta get an extra job to pay for it all. So maybe I should get it out and start "exercising" on it. Maybe start exercising tomorrow, I got some new flip-flops I gotta break in today.

gottago, icanhear ice cream truck

·
Registered
402 Posts
At 65 I have trouble staying in shape, keeping fit for the ptarmigan hunts. So I pick up litter on 27 miles of the Mirror Lake Highway from June thru October. It's great exercise and it's "at elevation". Anyone can help, and there's no charge. I'll even buy lunch. :)

Power Lifting:

You should put out a schedule of when you are doing this! I would love to come up and help out.

·
Registered
431 Posts
Speaking of fitness, I'm big into running places people don't want to run and hiking around with a heavy pack just for punishment. I don't have any running friends that are into hunting though.

If anyone on here is a runner or wants to get out and slog around with a heavy pack, feel free to PM me.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi, great photos, thank you for sharing. As for fitness, I admit that I don't have enough physical training to carry a heavy backpack for long distances. So I think about getting a gym membership. In addition, I gained extra weight during the quarantine, so I really need good workouts. I'm also interested in the topic of sports nutrition and various supplements used by bodybuilders. So I found an article for beginners like me about the testosterone cycle, you can find it here https://steroidcycle.org/testosterone-cycle/. If you know something about this, please give me some tips. I need to know about the effects of testosterone on the body , its benefits and disadvantages. Actually, I'd like to hear your feedback if you have experience using testosterone for muscle growth.

·
Registered
1 Posts
It's a sad fact that if you don't exercise for a long time, your muscles become unusable. Especially as you write that haven't done anything for several years! And the older we get, the faster the muscles start to weaken. It's good that you got your exercise back, I think you should take some additional supplements. In addition to strength training I use some supplements from SARM online store, it`s great for lean muscle mass and helps to lose weight. So, working out and taking supplements I lost a few pounds in a wee=) my physique is almost slim, so for me it`s already excellent result!

21 - 40 of 48 Posts