Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need some advice.. I am looking to get a good knife to use for cleaning game, mainly deer. I have knives that I can use to do waterfowl, they just didn't work so well on my first deer hunt last year. :shock:

So I am new to this whole quality knife thing. What would y'all suggest getting? I would like something that does a good job at keeping an edge and that it isn't too hard to sharpen..

I have been looking at the KOA Alpha Wolf with the D2 steel. It sounds like it might be a little tricky to sharpen.

I would like to stay under $50-$60 if possible..

Thanks!

·
Registered
248 Posts
KOA Alpha Wolf is great! Used it to clean my buck last year. I would also argue in favor of the Outdoor Edge game processor set ($80) [ I used this set to process my buck last year. ] I don't have the swing-blade, but they do put out quality knives.

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
I've got a Buck Vanguard that I like for all purpose stuff. It's 420HC steel and holds an edge decently well. I've hacked through several wrist sized pieces of wood and still had a decent edge left.

Not in the "quality knife" category, but I've also got a Havalon. They're great for skinning and some deboning/dismembering tasks. But, you have to use it within it's limitations. I've heard some people complaining that they've snapped blades, and most of the time it's because they were prying on something or doing some other task that the thin blade is not suited for. I love mine and would not think of heading out without it.

·
Super Moderator
9,800 Posts
I have used everything from a $2.00 pen knife to a $300.00 custom built knife and everything in between. In all reality it comes down to a knife that you can keep sharp and has a sturdy blade, which rules out the Havalon. I have even used one of them once and when the blade came off while I was gutting the animal I gave them up. Just something about digging around on the inside of a animal with a razor blade in there that just doesn't suit me.

But when it comes down to it I like a knife like the Gerber Gator folder with the rubberized handle or the Buck Woodsman. If you want a knife with changeable blades take a look at the Outdooredge Razor Pro. It is a lot sturdier than the Havalon along with thicker blades.

·
Registered
2,815 Posts
I'm sure some here are tired of hearing me say I don't like razor knives, so I won't state that again.....

Buy one or two of these:
https://www.etundra.com/kitchen-sup...5&cadevice=c&gclid=CKrX1-GMuMcCFZCCaQod13YLjg

And then you can buy one of these:
https://www.etundra.com/kitchen-sup...5&cadevice=c&gclid=COKGvbCNuMcCFQENaQodD18LoA

And pick up one of these:
http://www.sportsmanswarehouse.com/.../Diamond-Sharpeners/prod99999030818/cat100813

And then you can use one to skin and debone a whole moose, 5-10 deer, and a couple elk. Of course it isn't as nostalgic as a fancy knife, but at least I don't feel bad when loosing one....

·
Registered
2,928 Posts
I use a Stanley box knife with roofers hook blade to make the caping cuts and the straight blade for quartering and skinning.
A 5" fish filet knife from Sportsman Warehouse does an amazing job on the boning and cleaning up the meat.
I'm sure Packouts knife would work good too.

·
Registered
367 Posts
A nice buck 110 folder seems to be my go to knife any time I go outdoors. Great for everything from cleaning catfish,trout,dove and pigs. Also great for cutting up cheese and sausage on the trail.

Reactions: Chaser and wyogoob

·
Registered
174 Posts
Look at Mora Knives. You can get them on Amazon for under $15. I like the MoraKniv Companion. I have a few of these. They are razor sharp out of the box and hold an edge really well. IMO you can find a better blade for under $50, and you can get 3-4 for that pice.

·
Registered
854 Posts
I'll throw in another vote for the havalon. I have boned out or been apart of, about six animals. Super sharp it is very easy to skin them out. They are extremely light and you never have to sharpen! Any of the replaceable blade razor knifes are a good option IMO

·
Registered
188 Posts
2-in-1

A couple years ago I got one like this.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/41...-rubber-covered-aluminum-handle-safety-orange

When I hunt deer and elk I always make sure this is one of the two knives I take along. Compact, doesn't weight much, handles well, and is everything you need to field dress big game including cutting sternum and pelvis. Mine is a Browning and cost half this much but it isn't on their web-site.

We've established that I'm not a trophy hunter so I don't know a thing about capeing blades ; )

·
Registered
62 Posts
+1 for the Gerber a Gator folding knife. It is lightweight, easy to sharpen and the rubber grips really come in handy when your hands are covered in blood or fat while skinning.

I also use a Puma Duke, which is small and light weight. I picked it up after hauling around my vintage Case Sharktooth for many years. That **** thing felt like a brick in my pocket, cost me more than I would like to admit and can't keep an edge as long as my others but it sure does look pretty.

Biggest thing I have learned is it isn't the knife but the intermittent use of a small sharpener. I watched an outfitter quarter and cape a deer in 20 mins and he spent 15 mins of that time touching up the blade.

·
Premium Member
8,501 Posts
I've got an antler handle folding knife my Dad gave me before he passed. Beautiful knife - but horrible when gutting an animal. It gets slippery, and is not a locking blade, so it has folded on me when I've been elbow deep, and that doesn't feel good.

My favorite is Gerber Gator. LOVE that knife. Won't slip, keeps an edge, and just the right size.

Though, after a hunt with Amos at Deseret Land & Livestock a few years ago, where he cleaned three elk that day with a little Old Timer pocket knife, I have to say I was pretty impressed. That guy must gut a couple hundred elk a year (no exaggeration there. Really. ) and he does it with that little Old Timer, or whatever small pocket knife is. He just keeps it super sharp, and can work it like no other.

Reactions: wyogoob

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I have 2 havalons. They are great for cutting up deer and elk and all, but the blades are very fragile and I have broken a storm of them in side the quarters of domestic beef cows, elk, deer, and moose. Plan on investing in a lot of the disposable blades.

For outdoor tasks and brutal strength I really like the CRKT Shenanigan http://www.blackovis.com/crkt-ken-onion-shenanigan-folding-knife
For the most part it has replaced the Havalons in my pack and pretty much gets all the tasks done with no broken blades. If I kill something that gums it up with fat then I will switch to the Havalons for their disposable nature.

AUS 8 steel really impresses me.

·
Administrator
21,406 Posts
Last year I witnessed two different big game outfitters using Outdoor Edge Razor/Blade knives with the replaceable blades.

I use a variety of knives but I would have to say my favorite is a 60s-era Case XX model 366. You can still find them once in awhile on eBay.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts