Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With the freeze up coming I was just wondering if there es a good way for a foot soldier to hunt the GSL. I have marshes close to the GSL but never hunted on the GSL. Where are access points for someone to walk in without walking for like 5 miles and is it too deep to wade and put decoys out in. I have a dog that does a great job with marsh but has a little harder time with open water and I have to wade out with him some times. I am not looking for anyones honey hole, unless you want to tell me, general advice would be great. Thanks.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
I'm pretty sure that you can walk out most of the dike systems or along the airboat channels on the WMAs to gain access to lakefront property. Unless you're ready for a good long hike, the GSL is a bit of a walk, especially with water levels as low as they are. 8)

·
Registered
449 Posts
If you're going to hike out to the GSL from the WMA's, you had better eat a power bar first. It's a long march. And remember that for some reason, the long walk back always seems like it's three times as far (and the mud is deeper, the decoys heivier, and the wind/rain is always in your face.) :)

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So basically there is not an easy way to get there other than an air boat. I know a place that I can hike out to it but I have to bust tons of frags and it is well over two miles. Can you hunt off of antelope island or is it illegal. Or can you walk out to the left or right into the marsh right where the causeway starts.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
woollybugger said:
If you're going to hike out to the GSL from the WMA's, you had better eat a power bar first. It's a long march.And remember that for some reason, the long walk back always seems like it's three times as far (and the mud is deeper, the decoys heivier, and the wind/rain is always in your face.) :)
+1.... this is the thing that sucks about it..... it is a long A deathmarch and if you do it early season, its hot as hell.... try walking for an hour and fifteen minutes with 70 lbs of dekes on your back in 5MM waders in a sauna..... thats about what its like by the time you get back to the truck and on the way home, you tell yourself you'll NEVER EVER do that again.... :lol: Of course, I lied to myself, but thats just me. I enjoy that kind of brutal workout for some reason.... although, I have an old guy that goes with me and he could probably hike me into the dirt. He makes some of us kids look like total wusses as often and as far as he hikes with Sparky. Its not for the faint of heart (if you've got any health problems, I'd recommend that you NOT try this) but there are days when that hard work definitely pays off. Of course, if you have friends with an airboat, thats a much easier way to get access. I don't know about Antelope Island.....I'd guess no.... but I don't know for sure. I know airboaters hunt off the shore, but I'm not sure if thats because they didn't come off the island itself or something. *-HELP!-*

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Tagm - It is illegal to hunt off of Antelope Island and/or the causeway, unless you are in a boat away from the island. If you park in the parking lot @ the causeway entrance and go left (south) you will be on Nature Conservancy land if you are in the tules. If you are along the shore then you are on state owned ground. The Nature Conservancy will let you hunt there, but would really appreciate it if you used proper hunting ettiquete like picking up your spent shells, etc. The problem is you will have to do a lot of walking to find a spot to set up.
If you go right (north) you are on state owned public ground, but again you would have to do a lot of walking through some heavy tules to find a place you would like to set up in. I know of an individual that claims to do very well on the north side, but have not had much success personally.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts