Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently set up my 14 foot v-hull aluminum boat with a blind to hunt duckies. I am not real familiar with the northern Utah, GSL hunting areas, seeing how I just moved, and was wondering what hunting areas I would be able to run my boat in. I am most concerned with the depths. I can run in about 1.5 feet of water. I would appreciate any info on areas that I could run my boat. Thanks

·
Registered
108 Posts
I was at Farmington Bay Monday and saw only flat-bottomed boats with variations of mud-buddy motors. Everytime I got out of the boat the water was about 18-24" deep. But my experience is only limited to that one outing.

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Hardwater. I appreciate your info. Also, I just want to let the rest of you know that I am not looking for your hot spots. I just want to get an Idea of depth. Thanks again.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Ogden bay, & BRBR-- you will be limited to the channels if you can run your motor thru them; are you running an outboard or mud motor. Word to the wise; the channels shallow up suddenly in spots.

Salt creek--probally won't be able to operate up there if you need 1.5 feet of water to run.

I have never hunted Farmington Bay, Harold Crane, or public shooting grounds; I'm not much for hunting Howard Slough either.

Cutler-- you can make it around okay up there; just mind the shallow spots.

As for GSL hunting spots, all I know of require shallow drafts or airboats to reach.

·
Registered
8,945 Posts
your best bet would be farmington bay. it seem like they hold water there more then any where else. like said above you wont get farr with the marsh up north.Last time I was at Ogden bay you would been fine but there are low spots that you might get in trouble with. I dont know how the water is there now. good luck.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I run a 14ft v-hull boat with 15hp Johnson at FB (Turpin unit) and have done so for about 10-12 years. If you are light enough to get up on plane you can easly run along the turpin dike, at least out to about the 4th bridge and you may be able to make a run away from the dike to the south for a short distance. If you are loaded down with guys and gear, you'll get hung up in mud and weeds here and there, but you can make it. However, in most places as soon as you turn south away from the main dike, you will run your prop into the mud. I either row from there or just get out and drag my boat over to the reeds where I want to set up.

I will say if your boat is extra heavy and you sit lower in the water, your experience might be worse than mine. Also, I don't know if there is just more silt and vegetation now than there used to be or if the DWR has stopped dredging as much lately since most people have Mud Buddys now, but it has become more difficult to run my boat even on the turpin unit in recent years. I used to be able to run all the way out to the sewage canal, but I don't think I'd make it now. I'm finally going to invest in a Mud Buddy for next season.

I've been to Harold Crane with a friend in his Mud Buddy and I can tell you there is no way you could run up there. It's only inches deep in some places.

·
Registered
6,336 Posts
JDB said:
I either row from there or just get out and drag my boat over to the reeds where I want to set up.
Thats what you'd have to do at Ogden too... follow the channel down the west shore and then cut straight east to the other shoreline and get out once you run on mud and pull the rest of the way, which shouldn't be too bad once you get out. 8)

·
Registered
647 Posts
I usually hunt unit 1 at FB because I know that my 12 ft V hull will work here.
The bottom is pretty soft and if ya hunt the south east side, depending where ya hit the beach, you can get in to within about 100 yards.

If ya can keep the moss out of the prop long enough to get up an a good plane ya can get even closer.

Good luck

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hey Bucksnort,

One other comment or caution. My boat is a v-hull, but the hull becomes pretty flat mid way back. The bottom is almost completely flat near the stern. If you have a kind of deep V hull with a strong V all the way to the transom, you will likely have more problem in the shallows than I described in my previous post.

Good luck and try not to get too frustrated when you have to stop and unwind the green gunk from your prop.

Oh, one more thing. If your motor is water cooled make sure it is circulating water. On my motor I can glance back and just make sure it is "peeing" our a good stream of water from the motor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts