Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A good friend has a philosophy that you shouldn't spend a lot of money on a gun. Instead, buy multiple guns for the same amount. I adopted the philosophy for a few years, but abandoned it this year.

I saved Cabela's points, gift cards, coyote money, and sold three guns to make this purchase (plus some early Christmas love from my wife). It's a Benelli Montefeltro Silver Featherweight. The first two shots in the field downed these two chukar. I went duck hunting yesterday day and didn't do so well, but it still takes pretty pictures. I'm smitten.
Dog Plant Tree Carnivore Liver
Sky Cloud Wood Branch Twig

· Registered
11,456 Posts
Nice gun, pretty.

I'd love to know if you run into the elevator jam with it. My sons Montefeltro is a pain in the ass. We've learned how to unstick it, although you get a sore thumb from the next shell slaming it. I think I know what the problem is, need to dig it out and grind down an interference edge with a dremel.

-DallanC

· Registered
1,553 Posts
Nice gun! A good friend of mine (hardcore chukar hunter) ran a monte legacy for years and years. Put a lot of gouges and scares on that fine gun. I mainly carry a Citori 725 Feather in the chukar hills. Yeah, it's expensive but it's a tool and tools get used. I also beat the snot out of my nice truck and wear expensive boots that last a year. Stuff is made to use and if I fall and take a chunk out of my stock, oh well--scars are just tattoos for people who do stuff. I'm gonna register trademark that saying ;)

· Registered
1,695 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the love.

DallanC, I've put over 100 rounds through it this week on the range and in the field--zero hiccups so far. My only complaints are the breakdown is harder than necessary because the forend cap and bolt handle are difficult to remove and replace and it doesn't have sling swivels. Otherwise, I think it's the perfect gun for what I do, which is 95% chukar hunting.

Airborne, Wagdog runs a similar field gun--Browning Citori Feather Superlight in 16 gauge. It was part of my inspiration for buying a nice gun to scratch and dent. Great quote, by the way. I'd buy a shirt with that on it. 😄

· Registered
All of it. Hiking is terrible without a gun or rod in my hands.
965 Posts
Pretty gun with a pretty, ugly dog. Love the devil birds.

Reactions: AF CYN

· Registered
75 Posts
I've got the exact same gun in 20 gauge. Love shooting it. It's really not a Montefeltro. It is an Ultralight with fancy metal. I don't have a problem getting the forearm cap off. The bolt handle is difficult but pops right off with a screwdriver wrapped in a towel to protect the gun. I have found that the finish on the stock isn't the toughest in the world. It easily gets tiny nicks that then flake off into bigger spots. I bought it to use in the Chukar hills as well so the nicks don't bother me. I've had no problems with it from a function standpoint. Life's too short to shoot an ugly gun.

· Registered
4,722 Posts
I'll admit, I'm a sucker for aesthetics on guns. When I browse rifles (like I was doing yesterday), I look specifically at guns that "catch my eye". I really don't like all the synthetic "camo" stocks on today's rifles. I want a nice laminate stock in a "natural wood" color scheme.

I don't know anything about the Montefeltro AF CYN pictured above -- but that gun is pretty! Love the walnut stock with nickel / gold receiver and trim.

Some day.....

Reactions: AF CYN

· Registered
11,456 Posts
I have a left handed Remington 700BDL in 270 with one of the most beautiful factory stocks I've seen in a "non-premium" grade gun. Some beautiful maple swirls in the stock wood. Thats yet another neglected gun I need to get out and run some rounds through it one of these days.

-DallanC

· Registered
1,040 Posts
A good friend has a philosophy that you shouldn't spend a lot of money on a gun. Instead, buy multiple guns for the same amount. I adopted the philosophy for a few years, but abandoned it this year.

I saved Cabela's points, gift cards, coyote money, and sold three guns to make this purchase (plus some early Christmas love from my wife). It's a Benelli Montefeltro Silver Featherweight. The first two shots in the field downed these two chukar. I went duck hunting yesterday day and didn't do so well, but it still takes pretty pictures. I'm smitten. View attachment 155118 View attachment 155119
May I please join your party, I love hunting with pretty guns.
Why even own them if you are not willing to use them for what they were intended to do?

Attachments

· Registered
9 Posts
What a cool gun! Looks like it’s been getting some really nice use recently.

I have a Beretta 12 gauge that I’ve been leaving at home. Instead, I’ve been taking my Remington 20 gauge. I’m just a wuss but when I’m out hiking hills, the lighter weight of the 20 gauge has made a huge difference.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts