Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Huntington last friday using a leach pattern that was just killing them! I couldn't keep the fish off and the best part was the smallest fish was just under 15 inches. Here are some pics from the trip.

I hope I can get back out once more before the ice comes! BTW, does anyone have some good ideas on how to keep your feet warm? My feet were frozen after I was done fishing...

·
Registered
952 Posts
Nice lookin tigers. Thats one reservoir that I have yet to fish, maybe ice fishin. My feet usually get cold out there on my toon as well, even with wool socks. The feet warmers are a good idea.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
Welcome back, JD. Glad to see you had a good time at Huntington. It's a nice place. I can only imagine how cold it was. Did you hit Electric or Cleavland while you were in the area?

·
Registered
96 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I'm going to have to try that heat pack in the sock idea. Also, I had no idea this forum even existed until yesterday! I'm stoked that this forum is here! I've been doing all this fishing and have had no where to post the reports besides freeform. I'm not a very big fan of BFT so I'm glad that this site exists!

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
On the heat packs, just be aware that many kinds use oxygen from the air to cause the reaction that produces heat. These types of warmers don't get much air inside a pair of waders. My best solution has been to layer my legs and feet while not lacing my boots up too tight so circulation is improved. You can also get a sock at places like Cabela's that is powered by a 9-volt battery.

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
I believe something is wrong with the pic's and the article....it states that JD caught fish with a fly rod?? And those look like trout... :)

Under Armour socks work quite well for me JD...kinda not cheap...13 to 18 bucks a pair, but well worth the money.. And they are very comfortable..

Glad you're back, good to see a report out of you.... :) :)

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
I use SmartWool [Marina wool?] heavy winter socks but be sure that your boots are big enough for the oversized socks.
I also wear fleece pants that are designed for winter floating.
As you probably already know, you must keep your torso warm or your extremities will get cold.
Always wear a good warm hat and gloves to help keep your body warm.
With all of that, you may still have to come to shore and get warm once in a while.

·
Registered
629 Posts
Crowded feet will get colder than feet that have room for good circulation. Smartwool socks are a good idea and make sure you don't lace your boots too tight. But really, the only way to keep your feet toasty is to stay home rather than pontooning a lake in 40 degree water. I know, that isn't an option for some of us....

·
Registered
483 Posts
jd, a buddy of mine picked up a pair of way oversized neoprene boots and swears by them. He says he leaves the tops loose to let water in which warms somewhere close to body temp and creates an extra layer from the outside water. He also uses them when walking the rivers in the winter.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts