Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought some might be interested on a report about the ice at Huntington. My son, Bro-in-law (Widastick), and myself hit the ice at sun up and fished until about 11:45am or so. Wanted to stay longer but had to get back for the "Big Game" :D We iced around 30 or so and kept a few that we ate that night. It was decent fishing while we were there.... we had fish on the finders about the whole time. There was another group of 3 guys.... I know they did very well and stayed until 3pm after talking to them on another site. And then there were 2 other guys that started out by us and then moved half way down the lake on the west side.... not sure how they did. I've attached a few pics of the outing. We forgot the ice cleats, but were able to get around pretty well even though it looks slicker than snot.

[attachment=4:2zas2ej4]Huntington Ice 2007 008.jpg[/attachment:2zas2ej4]

My son Cole had the early "Hot Spot".... I think he caught 5 or 6 before I caught my first. He was all smiles!

[attachment=3:2zas2ej4]Huntington Ice 2007 007.jpg[/attachment:2zas2ej4]

Here's my brother in law Mike with the other group of 3 behind him.

[attachment=2:2zas2ej4]Huntington Ice 2007 012.jpg[/attachment:2zas2ej4]

Mike with a nice one...

[attachment=1:2zas2ej4]Huntington Ice 2007 017.jpg[/attachment:2zas2ej4]

And finally one with some color...

[attachment=0:2zas2ej4]Huntington Ice 2007 013.jpg[/attachment:2zas2ej4]

Had a great time and to top it off.... the "Y" came out with the win!!! Go Cougs!!! :wink:

Anyway, we hope to make it back down that way in the next couple of weeks for some more Tigers.

Laters,
Cdragon

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I can't believe people are already out on the ice. :shock:

You guys are crazy. Good report though. Looks like everyone caught fish and survived, so thumbs up!

·
Registered
18 Posts
Good report, and nice to see some nice fishies.
But that ice sure looks thin. :shock:

·
Registered
889 Posts
glad you got some ice!! good report, up until the time you started talking about the--what did you call them?-- oh yeah the cougars!! boo
how thick was the ice?

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
Yes how thick what the Ice! And how do you groins feel.. Last time I was on crystal clear Ice like that my groin was pulled from all of the slipping and sliding. :D

·
Registered
496 Posts
I have never fished on crystal clear ice like that. How thick was that ice??? I think that all the lakes in Utah have just iced over during Thanksgiving, so that can't be too thick there.

·
Registered
348 Posts
Nice job on some beautiful Tigers!!! Sounds like a heck of a day and I'm so glad to hear that the ice is now on!!! Of course, like everyone else I want to know exactly how thick that ice is. Look at my avatar, I'm not too far off from having a belly the size of his, so thick ice is important to a big guy like me. :wink:

·
Registered
952 Posts
Wow its great to see an ice report this early on. Good job on the fish, sounds like a productive day. I also have never fished on that clear of ice before, im with the rest, how thick was it?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi All..... sorry about the incomplete report on the ice thickness..... I guess it was "first time posting jitters" :oops:

Anyway, by the dam... the ice was 3 to 3 1/2 inches until you got out 50-60 yards from the shoreline. Then it was about 2 1/2 inches. There was open water on the north end of the lake. We didn't move around much.... as a matter of fact... I fished 2 holes while we were there that were within 30 feet from each other. Didn't feel like pressing my luck any more that I already was. :shock: We had a heavy pry bar that we used to check the ice in different areas close to the shore line before venturing out too far. And as an extra precaution.... We tied ourselves together with a 40 foot rope. I stayed on land while my Bro-in-law did the "testing". After about an hour of testing different locations... we decided that it was the thickest ice by the dam. Early on, the ice was solid.... I felt fairly comfortable being on it..... but as the day got warmer... the ice REALLY started to "sing". I'm glad the ball game was at noon.... because my common senses had been replaced by the "Fishing Fever" that I was overcome by. If it were'nt for the game.... we probably.... no..... we absolutely would have stayed. I'm glad we got off the ice when we did. Clear ice is AWESOME!!! I've been on crystal clear ice like that one other time but it was a little thicker. The best part is when you have hooked up and can see those beautiful Tigers darting around below you as you are bringing them up. The worst part is when a big ole crack forms through the hole you're fishing!!! :shock: My adrenaline glands got quite the workout!!! I wouldn't recommend it to everyone.... but if your an adrenaline junkie and the ice is 3 inches.... Go for it! I'll be there again next year at "Ice on". :D

·
Registered
952 Posts
Thats a little too thin for me... im not quite that adventurous. But good on ya for havin the brass to go out there! Im sure it would be way cool to see those tigers dartin around underneath you.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts