Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Left early this morning for the two hour drive to get there from the Salt Lake Valley. The roads were snowy and slick once I got up towards the summit above Fairview. The 4 wheel drive vehicles had no problem. I stopped for a few minutes to put the snow chains on my car (took it for the gas mileage) and made it just fine. I pulled into Huntington a little after 8. There were many people there. A dozen or more groups. The most I have ever seen. We can thank KSL Outdoors for this in my opinion. I heard them talking about what they had seen on that television program. It was clear and sunny, but cold of course. Lots of people had fish finders, as did I. All day long you could hear them beeping. The fish were there, but they seemed entirely unresponsive and finicky. I've been to Huntington before and had so much action I didn't know what to do with it, but today was different. Several frustrated anglers ended up making their way up to the reservoir from Scofield with bad reports of horrible fishing there and they were looking to improve their chances for some Tigers, only to find more super slow fishing and fish that wouldn't bite. I had a strike on a waxworm on a jig shortly after arrival and had him for a bit but lost him. No more bites for quite a while after that even though the fish finder was showing they were there. Where I was fishing (by the dam in 20 feet of water) they started out on the bottom earlier in the day but closer to noon they looked to be all over the water column. Thinking perhaps the fish wanted more than little grubs on a tiny jig, I switched to a minnow head on a kast master. I dropped it down the hole and had a tiger inhale it on the fall. Luckily I landed that one. Decided to keep it too cause the Kastmaster got it in the gills. It fought pretty well and I was excited, as it was the only fish I had seen come out of the water from anyone at that point. Later on I switched to a minnow head on a glow white tube jig and caught a bigger one, may have been as much as 16 inches, and released it. After that I had a couple strikes but nothing else. Some people were obviously frustrated and left skunked. I know a couple other people caught one or two from their tents, I didn't hear of anyone else catching any and I didn't leave until 2:30. It was my first ice trip for the season so I enjoyed myself. The fishing was slow, I mean jeese, two fish in 6 hours, but at least I didn't get skunked and they were good sized fish.

·
Registered
952 Posts
Went up there today after Scofield with about a half hour of fishin till it got dark, only landed two nice sized tigers.

·
Registered
6,000 Posts
I'm sorry to hear about such a slow day, but at least you caught a couple. Sounds like Huntington got hotspotted and may not get a rest for awhile. I wonder if anyone's trying Cleveland or Electric.

Thanks for the report. Better luck next time.

·
Registered
952 Posts
LOAH said:
I'm sorry to hear about such a slow day, but at least you caught a couple. Sounds like Huntington got hotspotted and may not get a rest for awhile. I wonder if anyone's trying Cleveland or Electric.

LOAH we wanted to go to Electric but the ice didnt look all the way safe, and Cleveland looked like nobody had even tried it. So Huntington it was for us.

·
Registered
3,581 Posts
LOAH said:

Trust me those are bolth on my radar screen for a two lake trip but from the looks of it they need a couple of week before I will get out on that ice...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts