Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to Hyrum Dam this morning (Sat.) for a few hours to try my luck with a couple of friends. We fished towards the east end. The ice averaged about 2 inches with a little snow covering. The ice is very clear and is doing a lot of talking :wink: if you know what I mean. The edges are a bit soft though! There is a smal patch of open water South of the beach area with a few ducks and geese hanging around. If it gets as cold as it's supposed to tonight, that will freeze up and the ice should thicken. We caught fish off and on from the time we got there, 9:30 am, until we left at about 12:30. My personnal catch was 6 rainbow trout from 10-19" and one 6" perch. I was using a green colored ice fly and 1/2 of a night crawler. I tried wax worms with no success. The others in my group tried meal worms, and caught some perch. But for trout, the night crawler worked the best. As a trio, we ended up with 9 trout and about that many perch. Three other guys came and fished close by (they were acquaintances) and did about the same as us.

All in all, a fun morning, with enough catching to keep it interesting! And not too cold. I plan on going again Monday morning, and we'll see how it is then. I'll keep you all posted.

By the way, we're having trout for dinner tomorrow! *()* -()/- *(())* -*|*- --\O

·
Registered
952 Posts
2 inches?!?!? Man your pretty daring to go out on that. I wouldnt have. But sounds like you guys ended up having a good time, glad you caught some fish. I have never fished Hyrum but have always pondered going there... someday.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts