Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I only saw one confirmed kill posted over the weekend. I must assume there was a mass failure this 2015 Utah opening turkey hunt weekend.
I demand to know who's at fault here, the turkeys or the hunters!
Boys it's just not that tough, just get out there, find a bunch roosted up, get down below'm and come daybreak, call'm right in. Gees, what's the problem... d**b birds won't cooperate?

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not all consider it a "Failure" if a bird is not shot.
This ain't no Audubon bird "watchin" weekend we got going on here. Lets see some smiling faces peepin up over those tails. Lets hear some stories of camo'ed up nimrods shooting the lips right off them critters, come on boys, you've waited all year for this day to come around again.

·
Registered
2,152 Posts
Down where my dad and I were, the turkeys haven't really started yet, we are up in the mountains. very few gobbling. the ones we did put to bed kept getting blown by guys in a truck that would drive up the road at first light, step out of the truck, slam the door and start squawking on their calls. My dad and I were sitting on a bird for an hour in the dark, just as its getting light the same guys come driving up the road and jump out of the truck just in time to hear the bird gobble, then they head up right for it sit down and all 3 of them started calling. I watched the bird fly out of the tree away from the guys.. Very inexperienced group of people..

I was sitting up on a ridge one night and watched these J-holes get out of their truck and start squacking, get back in and drive up the road 300 yards and repeat it all over again...

so we will go down the last week when those mountain Merriams are a little more vocal

·
Registered
3,118 Posts
I've been chasing the birds in an are that normally has a ton of birds. It still does, but, they are in small groups. I worked the same group of birds for two days, and no go. The group is small. One nice Tom, two Jakes, and four hens.

If I call, the hens just look around. The Tom and Jakes will gobble, and strut. They seem to have zero interest in my decoys. I'm thinking that with the warm winter, and lack of snow, the birds are scattered out, and "Hen'ed Up"

I'll find a new spot to hunt, and see what happens.

·
Registered
692 Posts
Well everone said there were tons of birds on puplic land in northern unit lets see some photos
I'll show you in a couple weeks when the youth/general opens.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts