Utah Wildlife Forum banner

I can't figure out Willard Bay!!

5K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  LOAH 
#1 ·
I've been about 5 times (most recently on December 20th), some mornings and some evenings, and never had much success. I have a small boat that I've launched from both the north and south marinas. In all my trips there I've only caught a 12-inch walleye and single wiper. The wiper was awesome, though, and that's why I've kept going back. It was a great fighter. I'm using a jointed shad Rapala lure that sinks about 5'.

Any suggestions? My little boat works off an electric motor, which means it's hard for me to get over to the west edge of the bay.

#2 ·
Willard Wipers

For Willards Wipers you need to find their boils, but for that you probably need a big boat that can cover water. But if you find then there sould be many bird in the air and water feeding on the Gizzard Shad that are running from the wipers, once you find a boils, cast any lure that looks like a shad and is big enough to eat. Once you find alot you'l get upwards of 20+ wipers.>>O>>O

#4 ·
For Willards Wipers you need to find their boils, but for that you probably need a big boat that can cover water. But if you find then there sould be many bird in the air and water feeding on the Gizzard Shad that are running from the wipers, once you find a boils, cast any lure that looks like a shad and is big enough to eat. Once you find alot you'l get upwards of 20+ wipers.>>O>>O
Welcome to the forum.

#3 ·
Just to make you fell better, Willard is my nemesis. I have fished that place countless times and I'm yet to figure it out. Also if you do see the boils and there are other anglers there. please kill the motor and paddle or use a push stick to get in close. If not you could chase the boil away and have lots of happy people around you.

#6 ·
Mid summer is when the boils really start, water temp has to be warm this is when they are most active. Here is a hint for willard fishing since you have a little boat you can really go anywhere just take a buddy and carry your little boat over the dike and launch, maybe a little work but hey its for fun anyway.
invest in a good fish finder find the cannel, rock piles any structure and work it.
you can vertical jig these areas with decent success.
Jointed rapalla's work trolling at speeds this time of year need to be slow
summer time speeds should be about faster for wipers about 2-3 mph
good luck fishing this time of year seems like willard really shuts down with colder temps.

#8 ·
I know that they are still in there and have to feed. during summer I thought of buying a microphone and doing some underwater recording of a boil and try to use that sound of splashing and little fish getting away for ice fishing, maybe just an excuse to buy more stuff but I thought it might work I never did it though.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.