Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,059 Posts
I see good mass and long symmetrical points. A missing G1 if you really want to get picky. That buck is legitimately bigger than any buck I have seen in the wild. With the mass on that buck I bet if you put him in a fight against the burris buck there would be a lot of torn up soil and patches of hair scattered around and a defeated world record. Unfortunately we grade them for their tine length and symmetry instead of mass and brute strength....

·
Registered
692 Posts
I see good mass and long symmetrical points. A missing G1 if you really want to get picky. That buck is legitimately bigger than any buck I have seen in the wild. With the mass on that buck I bet if you put him in a fight against the burris buck there would be a lot of torn up soil and patches of hair scattered around and a defeated world record. Unfortunately we grade them for their tine length and symmetry instead of mass and brute strength....
The G1 is at least trying to grow in... not sure it'd reach 1" before it's shedding time though.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
For mass and brute strength check out the buck I posted in the photography section. He's from the same scouting trip. Only a 3x4 but man what a tough, blocky, mature look he has. This has been the best scouting season of my life. Let's hope the luck continues into the hunt. ------SS

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
I'd say he's a mid to upper 170 buck.
If I was dead set on killing a 180" buck, I would pass.

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Wow, I might be 10" optimistic. I'm certainly no expert so that's entirely possible. I'm shooting him if I can find home in a couple months, I don't care if he ends up being 160"......I like the look.-----SS

·
Registered
3,674 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Who cares about some stupid number on a paper? That thing is a beauty and probably a fair amount bigger than any buck most hunters have killed. If I saw him on the gs hunt he would have the air let out of him.
I'm with you Color but numbers give us something to talk about while we wait for hunting time. I just started considering numbers in the last couple years. Before that it was either a shooter or a dink. -----SS

·
Registered
2,799 Posts
If someone really wanted to press me I say he would score around mid to upper 170s, like 175-178. Definately a big mature buck that I'd shoot in that area.

But I'll be honest, if this buck and that 3x4 are standing next to each other the 3x4 is either really dead or really scared. I am not much into score anymore, but I do love mature, sway backed, pot bellied, wrinkled brisket, jug head bucks. Look at the distance between the 3x4's bases and the bases of the 4x. That 3x4 is a heavy, old dude.

You are in for a great adventure! So glad you are getting up there to make the most of it. I'm sure you will make it an experience to remember. Best of Luck!

·
Registered
4,884 Posts
Wow, I might be 10" optimistic. I'm certainly no expert so that's entirely possible. I'm shooting him if I can find home in a couple months, I don't care if he ends up being 160"......I like the look.-----SS
I personally don't care about numbers too much either.
It's all about the "WOW" factor that makes all the difference to me.
Good luck this year.

·
Registered
581 Posts
I would guess he will tickle the 180" mark. Certainly a great buck worth hanging a tag on.

Guys can say what they want but I would bet that buck is bigger than 90% of the bucks killed on LE units each year (excluding premium hunts).

Reactions: 2full

·
Registered
394 Posts
I am guessing he grosses 180 or a little under. Beautiful buck and one I would not hesitate to pull the trigger on.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I agree with the least few posts -- that he is roughly 180 gross. Great buck. Kill him and put a tape on him so we know for sure.

Hawkeye

1 - 20 of 27 Posts