Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
........but every time I do it shoots great. The load is 225 Sierra Boattails in front of 60 grains of Varget. MV is just over 2700fps.-----SS

Attachments

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If anyone has contemplated adding a Whelen to the collection, check out the new CDL SF that Remington is offering this year. Cool gun! With the new 225 Accubonds with a coefficient of .430, the Whelen pretty much duplicates the trajectory of a 30-06 with 50 or so more grains of bullet weight. In my experience they absolutely crush animals out to 400 yards and tend to be very easy to load for.----SS

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Nice shooting! I've kinda got a thing for big bores these days... A 35 would be awesome. What's your set up?
Nothing fancy. Old Ruger 77 with action bedded and barrel floated. KDF muzzle break. Old 6 power scope. --------SS

PS, it was your 338 thread that inspired me to blow the dust off of the Whelen.

Attachments

·
Registered
10,214 Posts
Thats really cool and impressive. Really wish at times I lived back east where you can get half a dozen or more deer tags... just to shoot one with a different rifle each time.

-DallanC

·
Administrator
21,456 Posts
Nothing fancy. Old Ruger 77 with action bedded and barrel floated. KDF muzzle break. Old 6 power scope. --------SS

PS, it was your 338 thread that inspired me to blow the dust off of the Whelen.
American walnut stock, cool.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
beautiful gun and great groups. Id heard the 225 gr sierras were really accurate bullets. I mostly use the 250 gr speers but I may have to try the sierras.

·
Registered
3,686 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
My gun shoots 225's way better than 250's. I really like the 225 Accubonds but, at over a dollar a piece, they get a bit pricey to plink with. The Sierra's are an absolute hammer on wild hogs. I have had some jacket separations but no hog has ever survived a collision with them. Bears fall over dead pretty quick when shot with them too. ----SS

1 - 11 of 11 Posts