Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This last weekend I was pursuing big game with my archery tackle. I tried a couple times to sneak up on mule deer bucks, but they kept seeing me and running away. Here's what confuses me: I was wearing camouflage. Not just a little bit, all over me. And it was all the same pattern. Even my back pack. I guess I should mention that my arrows aren't camo, and I do have a blue tube for my water. My brother thinks that might have been the problem. What do you think? Should I get more camouflage?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
THE DEER CAN SEE PINK CAMO!!!!! :shock:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,336 Posts
Loke said:
THE DEER CAN SEE PINK CAMO!!!!! :shock:
Even if it breaks up your outline?? Is it a gay shade of gray or something?? Tickles their gay vibe gland or something so they bail out for the next ridge? 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
88 Posts
My dad laughs at me when I get all dressed up in camo for the hunt. he always says to me that the Indians only wore a loin cloth when they would go hunting. Maybe thats what you need to wear? :)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
aarontruhunter said:
My dad laughs at me when I get all dressed up in camo for the hunt. he always says to me that the Indians only wore a loin cloth when they would go hunting. Maybe thats what you need to wear? :)
But please, do not post pictures!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,243 Posts
What about wind? A buck will put up with a little movement/noise, but if he smells you it is game over!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
Deer can smell pink camo????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
the most important thing is scent, use cover scent, and movement. stay away from the urine scents during the bow hunt for deer, this is not breeding season time.

and wash your clothes in sport wash (http://www.atsko.com/index.html )
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,336 Posts
north slope said:
What about wind? A buck will put up with a little movement/noise, but if he smells you it is game over!
Except ATVs..... after the opener... they're like, yep, time to go anytime they even hear one of those things.... Hence the reason I think most guys do better on foot... camo or not. 8)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
idiot with a bow said:
This last weekend I was pursuing big game with my archery tackle. I tried a couple times to sneak up on mule deer bucks, but they kept seeing me and running away. Here's what confuses me: I was wearing camouflage. Not just a little bit, all over me. And it was all the same pattern. Even my back pack. I guess I should mention that my arrows aren't camo, and I do have a blue tube for my water. My brother thinks that might have been the problem. What do you think? Should I get more camouflage?
My guess is that your brother might be an idiot with a bow also. I would check into that first.

Second of all, I would try and use some of that spray on scent disapearer. You were probably smelled. I'll bet that will work and you should be able to walk right in on them. Don't even worry about the wind. "Just Hunt".

Good luck and report back on your success.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
I have seen in movies, (I don't know if it is true or not, you can't believe everything you see in a movie) that you can spray stuff on you that will make you invisible. Would this work? Would you still stink? Would you still make noise when you tried to sneak up on em? Would you be able to make your bow invisible and your arrows, and if you did, would you be able to see your pins? I see problems with this sort of thinking.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,393 Posts
EPEK said:
I see problems with this sort of thinking.
not if you are invisible
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,049 Posts
What you need is a Cloak of Invisibility. You can get them from the Hogswart Catalog.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,336 Posts
I think there is some sort of invisicloak you can buy.... probably from some online Dungeons and Dragons site or something... that might help. Other than that... camo yourself from head to toe.....and use scentblocker clothes, move only when they aren't looking and I actually had pretty good success with a pine cover scent. :wink:

Whatever you do, don't use Tag or Axe body spray.... that brings out all the wood fairies and you can't get rid of them.... they're a curse when you're trying to keep quiet. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,222 Posts
Maybe you could go Neked. It worked really well with my nephew while hunting for carp. I also sa it in a movie where the guy was living amongst the wolves and he ate mice and everything. Anyways he got Neked with the wolves and they accepted him.....................................It could work!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,336 Posts
I saw that movie.... where he's all munching on the little mice and the rest of them go scattering... funny stuff. Just don't pull a Treadwell and get yourself killed while you're out with the animals "becoming one of them". :lol:
 
1 - 20 of 33 Posts
Top