Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Dear Sirs,

I was passing through a WMA today and saw you drive in. I was on my bicycle, which I cleared with the fish and game office. You and your buddy were in your enormous razor. Unfortunately there are a couple of dozen signs posting this as a non-motorized zone due to wintering big game. And yes there was big game there, at least until you drove up. I tried to get to you before you left but by the time I arrived at your 'vehicle' you were gone. Gates are locked at every access so it appears that you intentionally broke the law by getting around them somehow.

I am writing to inform you that I took dozens of pictures of your razor. I have the VIN number, registration, make, model, time of day, video, etc, etc, etc. I called the WMA operator while I was there - and she is mad. As am I. All of the data I took has been delivered to her. She also informed me that the police get directly involved for this sort of infraction.

I hope the police catch you.

Sincerely,

A hunter who cars about this sort of thing.

·
Registered
4,669 Posts
This is what more people need to do.

Reactions: Vanilla

·
Registered
2,278 Posts
Yup, I second that. I spend a lot of time riding my ponies on the WMAs. Never seen anybody this bold but it pisses me off just to hear about. Sounds like you got enough info on them they have probably already signed their ticket. Curious what WMA was this?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Just curious, do you think they had a key to the lock to access their property that may be on the other side, which even though it's a wma the land owners surrounding the property do have the right to drive through for access. Just throwing that out and since I wasn't there I have no clue so I thought I would ask.

·
Registered
565 Posts
It amazes me how blatantly people break the law sometimes. I was at a popular Utah Lake hangout a couple weeks ago and saw 6 people shoulder to shoulder fishing the tributary, which was very obviously CLOSED at the time. Dozens of people around. Vehicles going back and forth. They were standing 5 feet from the giant sign saying the tributary was closed. Not a care in the world. I called the poaching hotline and was connected to a local C.O. that was very familiar with the location and said it was a chronic problem. Enforcement was dispatched immediately. I don't know how people live their life looking over their shoulder. Seems like it would take all the fun out of it.

Good on you jshuag for doing something about it.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not going to release the name of the WMA at this time.

About the key. I discussed this with the operator. The ONLY person that has a key to this WMA, other than the operator, controls water coming out of it. They were not at the water gates. They were elsewhere. This means that they were doing illegal activity. This would also be the case if it were also the water operator because he is not supposed to use the area for personal use like that. (I don't think it was the water operator)

Dare I say it.. . ..

.......... i think they were horn hunting. Even so, they can horn hunt all they wish. I don't care. Just don't use a motorized vehicle to do so.

·
Registered
1,603 Posts
This same thing happened to me last elk hunt. By cousin and I had hiked 5 miles back int a roadless spot only to see some punks on a razor cruise past us. We ran into the game warden later that day and told him about it. Sadly we didn't ever get pictures or anything like that so it was pretty much a wash and they got away with it. Good on ya for getting that evidence!

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Dear Sirs,

I just received notification that your razor has been found and yes the license plate does match the photos I took. Also, thank you for confirming over the phone with officials that you were indeed in the area yesterday. And thank you to the land operator that is keeping me informed.

to be continued.

·
Registered
538 Posts
Dear Sirs,

I just received notification that your razor has been found and yes the license plate does match the photos I took. Also, thank you for confirming over the phone with officials that you were indeed in the area yesterday. And thank you to the land operator that is keeping me informed.

to be continued.
Why would you post anything if you are not willing to go all the way and out these people?

·
Registered
4,853 Posts
I'm glad you are having better luck than I did a couple years ago. I took pictures of a couple guys off road, in which one of them got off his quad and came at me while throwing out a few vulgarities. I felt my finger reaching for the trigger on my shotgun, which scared the crap out of me. With two of them and one of me, I turned and walked quickly off and called the sheriff.
The sheriff did all he could to talk me out of pressing charges. He told me how it would be a waste of time and I would probably spend more than them in the long run with my longer travel and loss of work to appear in court.
I was very disappointed.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Yes. Absolutely, the appropriate thing to do. I hope what can be done is done. So many times I have reported similar instances and to be honest i more or less have had shoulders shrugged at me. I never had photos though. 4 wheelers are a lot of fun but I wish they would crack down a lot harder on those that break the rules, and help reclaim the mountain, back to when it didnt 12 different roads to get to the same location

Cheddar

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
Morons that take machines into the areas that are off limits are the reason more and more roads are being closed and blocked off. Then THEY are the ones that get upset when it happens, when it is because of their stupidity and how lazy they are to not get off the machine and walk 10 or 12 feet.
Then they want to play tough guy when you confront them..........

I have caught guys who have driven 4 wheelers around my fence, and then they try to kick me off my own place a couple of times.
That DID NOT work.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Why would taking a vehicle into a non motorized area cause the Feds to close a road?

1 - 20 of 85 Posts