Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 14 hp Hyper Drive that i'm having a bear of a time getting to run in cold weather i had it out on saturday on a river and the engine would not keep running( not good when your fighting a current) it would run for five minutes and then just stop i could turn it over and it would take a couple of seconds and just start right back up. I have had this problem for a while and i talked to the guys at mud buddy, at first we thought carb icing so i built a shroud to pull heat off the muffler, the they thought it was water in the line so i added iso-heat to the gas, and i even ran the tank dry on friday night then put fresh gas in on the way out saturday morning along with the iso-heat and it still is doing it, i'm still suspecting that the gas is slushing up because if it was carb icing it would slowly start running rich, but this just runs full bore and then shut down like it starved for gas, i have a 14' boat so i'm running the gas tank in the front for balance purposes so it's got about a ten foot gas line, but it's never had the problem till it got cold, mud buddy has just told me tough luck and that i'll just have to deal with it O|* O|* O|* O|* O|* O|* -------Does anyone have any ideas

·
Registered
599 Posts
I would move the tank back. If that doesnt work then look at the ignition system I had an 8hp that was doing the same to me, it didnt matter what the temp was. I thought it was the carb but it turned out to be the little screw on nipple on the top of the spark plug had come loose. When it would get loose enough to not make a connection it would flood and stall. After a whole day of rebuilding the carb and lookin the whole engine over I noticed it. O|* I guess my point is to look at the simple things too. If you are in the ogden area, hit up wilson service. Great guys in there and they know small engines.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
You said it seem to run out of fuel. Check that you have tank 's fuel cap vent open enough. My buddy had the same type problem, we thought it had a air leak in the fuel hose or somewhere that caused it to lose its prime but we didn't have the cap open far enough.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I agree with Mojo1. Try taking the cap completely off of your gas tank. Then run it for 10/15 mins and you will know if that is your problem. My honda generators did the same thing and that was the problem. Good luck...

·
Registered
126 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah i tried the vent cap thing, i took the entire cap off of the tank-------same old story, we tried taking the fuel line off at the filter thinking maybe it was the filter and running it straight through with no filter-----same thing O|* O|* O|* .......I have tried everything i can think of i have changes plugs i have changed filters i have changed the pump......nothing seems to work....it runs great when its warm but if its cold it just doesn't want to work right. when we left the truck it was 12 F and i had a bear of a time, on the way back it was 23F and it worked like a charm -#&#*!- -#&#*!- -#&#*!- -#&#*!- -#&#*!- O|* O|* O|* O|* O|* O|* maybe banging my head against this wall will help

·
Registered
152 Posts
I can't help with the motor but I think I met you at the boat ramp a few weeks ago.

We were going to the same spot so I went on the other side of the river. You were alone and I was with a friend. If that was you how did you do? We ended up with 4 geese.

If it were me I would try moving the gas tank to the back of the boat.

·
Registered
1,102 Posts
get a new motor. That should solve the problem

·
Registered
158 Posts
Clean the carb!

The majority of all running problems is the carb.

There are some small(pinhole) transfer ports that run down the carb throat make sure they are not clogged.

·
Registered
961 Posts
+1

That and bad/old gas. Boat motors sit for long periods of time without being used. The gas turns stale, absorbs water, dries in the carbs and forms varnish, etc etc etc.

You can prevent this by running the tank dry before storing and always treat the gas with fuel stabilizer.

If you're already suffering from these ailments, get a can of Sea Foam. Start the motor and pour it down the carb until the motor kills. Wait 15 min, and pour the rest of the can in the tank. Then start it back up. Run the engine at WOT for 15 - 20 min. Sea Foam will remove varnish from the carbs, remove carbon from the cylinders, absorb moisture from the fuel, and stabilize the fuel.

·
Registered
3,160 Posts
Gumbo said:
+1

If you're already suffering from these ailments, get a can of Sea Foam. Start the motor and pour it down the carb until the motor kills. Wait 15 min, and pour the rest of the can in the tank. Then start it back up. Run the engine at WOT for 15 - 20 min. Sea Foam will remove varnish from the carbs, remove carbon from the cylinders, absorb moisture from the fuel, and stabilize the fuel.
I'd do that anyway to clean your system out weather or not you think that is the problem , I've used Sea Foam, its great stuff, you can get it at Auto Zone, and should be available at the other parts houses.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I had a similair problem with my boat earlier in the season, and it ended up being the fuel pump.. a pretty simple fix..

1 - 12 of 12 Posts