Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Due to a service-connected disability some of you know I have an early hunt extension that runs Sep 12-20, I would have filled my tag yesterday but someone bumped the bull I had scouted while they were tracking an injured elk they shot the night before on the archery. I did all of the leg work Friday evening and pinpointed where he bedded down, but sometime after 7:45 PM Friday they came through the canyon looking for for their injured bull and pushed others out but eventually found it. I'm planning to go back up Thursday afternoon to find my bull and shoot it, and hope to fill my antlerless tag as well. What I need is someone who can help me quarter and hang them until the next morning when I have someone coming in to pack it out. I cannot physically quarter an animal myself, otherwise I wouldn't be asking for assistance. The hike in and out is 7 miles total, not too bad overall but the initial climb/descent is hard on the knees. PM me if you are able to assist and we will make it an adventure!

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Certainly don't need coordinates, but to what general area of the state are you going?

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Certainly don't need coordinates, but to what general area of the state are you going?
East of Soapstone area. I have spent about 7 days over the last month watching the same group of elk in there and am fairly certain they will come back in this week, just need a good pair of hands to help get it quartered and hung.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Forgot to say this last night, but prior experience quartering an elk is a must, prefer to use gutless method.

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
I have scout camp this weekend otherwise I'd lend a hand.

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
I met 30-06 last season, and he is no slouch. He has definitely put in his homework on his hunt and isn't looking for a free ride. Just a hand to help out on the finite details.

Worst case, Im happy to see if I can swing the next weekend.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I can not believe the few people on here questioning this mans disability. How can anybody question that? Just because he can get out and knows where to find animals? Do you know "Disabled" doesn't necessarily mean you can't walk? I'm sure few people on here actually know his situation, I'm one of them. He does not need to post his business on here so the few can decide if he actually is disabled. Best of luck to you -06! If I was more experienced in quartering I would offer my help.

·
Registered
87 Posts
I remember this event from last year, and was sorry I wasn't able to help then. This year I can easily take off work, just need to ask my wife if she's ok with me getting home super late on kids big homework night as I am guessing it will be past midnight.

I have helped quarter (and then debone) a couple of cow elk, gutless method, as well as deer and antelope. If I can make it, I will bring my own good knives (benchmade, havalon, filet knives). I am fit and have lots of stamina and actually this one of my favorite parts of hunting.

Please post immediately if you already found someone so I don't needlessly stress out the wife...

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I remember this event from last year, and was sorry I wasn't able to help then. This year I can easily take off work, just need to ask my wife if she's ok with me getting home super late on kids big homework night as I am guessing it will be past midnight.

I have helped quarter (and then debone) a couple of cow elk, gutless method, as well as deer and antelope. If I can make it, I will bring my own good knives (benchmade, havalon, filet knives). I am fit and have lots of stamina and actually this one of my favorite parts of hunting.

Please post immediately if you already found someone so I don't needlessly stress out the wife...
Waiting to hear back from a couple guys who PM'd me yesterday and will let you know ASAP if they can't make it for some reason. Go ahead and PM me your number and I will call this evening, thank you.

·
Administrator
7,960 Posts
Vanilla,

You may need references just to be safe :mrgreen:

·
Registered
78 Posts
30-06-hunter,
Is this something you struggle with each year? The reason I ask is because I cant help you when you need it this year, but would be willing to help next year. just reading some of the posts makes me think you may be in need each year. if so I would be honored to help out.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts