Utah Wildlife Forum banner

I was thinking

2K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  one hunting fool 
Get all the info for your bullet - weight, BC, mv - if you do not know those your ammo manufacturer should have the info on their websites. Go to Hornady.com and put your info into their ballistic calculator and you will have a chart for your bullet. Take the chart into the desert and shoot at 500 yds. Check how close it is. The key to an accurate calculation is the MV. The numbers off the manufacturers box should be close but it will not be exact. There are several ballistic calculators out there - do a search - they don't replace actual practice at 500 yds though - most folks think their gun is a tack driver at 100 with 1 inch groups. Its really not when they go to flinging bullets down range over 400 yds laying on a rock in the wind with adrenaline kicked in and should not be shooting 500 yds. I will not do it & my pet 270 will shoot 1/2 groups all day @ 100 2 inches high with Fed Prem ammo and ballistic tip bullets - at 400 that is a six ich group 19 inches low - at 500 it is a 12 inch group about 36 inches low. I probably could do better if I reloaded and not used off the shelf ammo but I just know my limitations and stick to them :wink:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.