Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
580 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Wouldn't it be cool to have 20 or so of these around the lake.... I would spend some of my free time to get to drive one around to help out the lake and birds! From what the article says that there are only 2 in the state...BRBR and the NC in layton. To bad the state cant pick up a couple!

http://www.ksl.com/?sid=36443888&nid=148&fm=home_page&s_cid=toppick2

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
I mow my lawn, but it grows back!! This thing just looks like a honey hole revealer!!! :grin: Spray and burn, spray and burn!

·
Registered
612 Posts
I mow my lawn, but it grows back!! This thing just looks like a honey hole revealer!!! :grin: Spray and burn, spray and burn!
They lay and mow it down so it will allow other native species to have a chance to grow, And if you have ever walked in a spot that they burned you would have wished they would have just mowed it. :) The stuff is so sharp and is horrible on dogs and waders.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
I think the DWR should contact the BLM and arrange to take a few hundred head of horses each year after hunting season ends and let them graze the heck out of the phrag. One horse should eat about as much as 5 goats and the BLM is having trouble feeding the 50,000 head they have in captivity...I see it as a win win....I hope the DWR is reading this.

Reactions: mtnrunner260

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts
The easiest solution to the problem is to fence off all of FB then have the BLM bring in as many horses as they want and let them graze it off. According to the BLM they have 50,000 wild horses in captivity that are costing them megabucks to feed. They could let them roam on FB for 7-8 months a year and there would be no cost to feed them. Hay has to run them at least 75$ per month per horse. Let loose a couple of thousand on FB and you save $600,000 per thousand horses in feed or more. Could also do it at other WMA's with phrag problems if this works. I am thinking one horse will eat about as much as 4-5 goats per day.

·
Registered
1,185 Posts
Great idea...but that would mean that our state govt would have to do something in cooperation with our federal govt. If our state legislators got wind of that, they would kill the idea immediately because it would be like doing a deal with the devil. Sad, but true. In the meantime, we have cows...
R

·
Registered
1,992 Posts
Great idea...but that would mean that our state govt would have to do something in cooperation with our federal govt. If our state legislators got wind of that, they would kill the idea immediately because it would be like doing a deal with the devil. Sad, but true. In the meantime, we have cows...
R
Well said. This is a sad reality of politics in Utah(and the country as a whole). Everyone is so entrenched in the us v. them mentality that there is little to no compromise and cooperation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts