Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I was at Scofield yesterday and I pulled a crawdad up on an ice fly. I pulled the tail off and cooked it at home. It tasted great and left me wanting more. Anyone have any good design ideas on a crawdad trap that I could drop through an ice hole?

·
Registered
599 Posts
A night crawler on a hook pull it up slow. We caught a ton up at lost creek this year that way.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Anything that will attract crawdads and give them lots to hang on to when you pull them up will work. Just use a net to scoop them up cause they sometimes tend to let go and flip away when they know they are coming out of the water. Don't know about ice, but in open water we always got a peice of old meat or fish and made a nest of it with fishing line which we would attach to a stick with about 20 feet of line. When it was time to bring it in the crawdads would be hangin all over the meat and line, sometimes tangled up in it. Made them real easy to catch. We'd do with a big group of people and once came back with near to 300 from East Canyon! To prepare them, put them live in real salty water and they poop out all the junk inside them. Then pull off all the tails and claws and boil them a big pot with crab seasoning until the pieces are bright red. Now they're ready to enjoy. The tail meat is easy to get to, but to get the claw meat use a nutcracker. Trust me it's worth it. Dip the meat in melted butter with garlic. Delicious! Not at all much different than lobster.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The meat/string thing sounds much simpler and probably just as effective as any trap I could build. As long as the little guys hang on all the way up and out of the ice, that should work fine. I suppose I could set out a bunch of lines and pull them in when the fishing bite is slow.

I don't know why, but I'd never bothered taking any crawdads home with me before. They are very tasty little critters. I found this article on the DWR site. I'm not so sure about the "crawdad butter" that you drain out of the heads. Hey, I'll try everything once and some things twice.

http://www.wildlife.utah.gov/fishing/crayfish.html

1 - 6 of 6 Posts