Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I fished Holms Creek this morning.
Ice was solid at about 6"+ thick.
The first 2 fish iced were both 11" Crappie, just as the sun was rising.
After that I pulled a dozen Trout through the ice and headed home a little after noon.
The Trout were from 10" to 16" and were found throughout the water column.
Ice Cutters and Gizzy Bugs did the trick again. They are all I have used this season with any success. If you don't have some of the jigs, GET SOME!

·
Registered
952 Posts
Good job Grandpa D! I have found the community ponds to be a good little fishing spot when you dont want to travel far. I also second the maniac lures! The glow in the dark ice cuttr is one of my go to ice lures!

·
Registered
424 Posts
Is there a good place to park there? I fished there once this summer and parked by the golf course. It was straight downhill through some thick crap. I wouldn't mind heading down there after my classes at WSU but I don't know if I can haul my ice gear down that hill and back up.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
flyfisher_1984 said:
Is there a good place to park there? I fished there once this summer and parked by the golf course. It was straight downhill through some thick crap. I wouldn't mind heading down there after my classes at WSU but I don't know if I can haul my ice gear down that hill and back up.
If you park under the power lines, there is a road with a gate that goes down to the pond.
Don't park too close to the half buried fire hydrant though. You don't need a ticket! :oops:
The trail down is snow packed and not too bad of a walk.

·
Registered
10 Posts
So that was you the lone person on the ice when me and two other guys walk past you to the point on the east side of that cove, and you was landing (iceing) a trout as we where going by and I did not want bother you has you where busy with the fish. Of course I have not met you in person yet, but I have enjoyed reading many of your posting and get alot of info. out of them. The two guy I was with have been ice fishing so I was going to try to show them a few thing about ice fishing. It was tough to get them on the ice at first. The younger brother step out on the ice first and was about five feet out and stop dead in his track. the older brother got to ice edge and he froze in his track. When got up to them and step on ice at the edge and me pushing about 300# the ice crack and for me that not big deal and I got to the younger brother and he look at me with alittle conceren the ice crack under his foot. I was able to assure him that nothing was going to happen. But older brother took a little conviceing, I darn near had to drag him on but I was glad he came out on his own. So I took them spot were I had good fishing for the past coulpe weeks. I told and showed them some basic about ice fishing and let them have at it. Unfortunely that spot was not hot this time, but but they did get some good bites right off, then it got real slow. They ask if we should move and I they could l had a fishvt and was watching the fish swim by I also knew that we where at a brake point of a drop off and the bottom showed sight of fish feeding. So I suggested they stay perrall with the bank and go were they would like to go. This is getting long to make it short I got skunk and they did well and had a great time and after the shakey start they took to it like fish to water and the made the trip fun for me.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hello Hydrotec.
Yes I was the first one on the ice.
I had to use a flashlight for a little while until it got light.
That was my first trip to Holms Creek, but it won't be my last.
What a great little pond full of several different kinks of fish.
I like the 4 fish limits on community ponds. It will help to keep fish in the ponds.
Too bad that you didn't stop and say hi.
It's always fun meetion forum members,
We are working on trying to get bumper stickers with a forum logo that you can put on your sleds, boats, and vehichles.
The stickers will help us to recognise other forum members.
Maybe I will see you on the ice again sometime,
Grandpa D.

·
Registered
952 Posts
That would be cool if you guys could get some stickers made up. I would definately sport one on my car and toon!

·
Registered
212 Posts
Yay! forum bumperstickers!
Put me down for 3- I'll pay for 'em.

·
Registered
165 Posts
So I tried Holmes creek today, got their about 4pm fish were bighting pretty steady but for some reason me and my buddy couldnt set the hook right. Didnt land any but had a good time for an hou or so.

·
Registered
424 Posts
Well I didn't skip class today but I headed up after. I got there and started fishing a little after 1:30. I drilled my first hole and only had one small hit for about the first hour. At 2:30 I drilled another hole a little further out and hooked into a rainbow about 15 minutes later. That was followed about 10 minutes later with another bow. Then I sat there for about another hour without even a bite so moved out a little further still. So about 4ish I started fishing this next hole and as soon as I hit the bottom I got hit hard. I iced what I would guess was about an 18-19" rainbow. I never got to measure him because he spit the hook and found the hole again :x . Well after that it was non-stop action. As soon as my line hit the bottom I'd have a fish on. That went on til I quit at 5 o'clock and I iced somewhere around 10 rainbows in that time. I lost probably 3 or 4 more at the hole. Most of them were right around 12" and the two that I kept were 16" and pretty fat. I was really hoping to get my first crappie. Does anybody have any tips on targeting them?

·
Registered
424 Posts
I might be up there tomorrow again. I'm thinking of taking my little brother after his basketball game. I don't think I'll keep any bows tomorrow though. They were really white and didn't have a lot of taste to them. I want some CRAPPIE!!!!

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
flyfisher_1984 said:
I might be up there tomorrow again. I'm thinking of taking my little brother after his basketball game. I don't think I'll keep any bows tomorrow though. They were really white and didn't have a lot of taste to them. I want some CRAPPIE!!!!
the fish right... :lol: :shock:

·
Registered
424 Posts
Fished it from about 3:45 to 6:00. I took up my little brother and sister for there first ice fishing experience. We caught 4 rainbows but we had a really hard time hooking them today. The kids didn't like the cold too much but they forgot about that when the fish started biting. A lot of people were up there today and a gentlemen on the point by me seemed to be doing pretty well. On the way back I had to pick up several pop cans and grocery bags with bait cups in them. :evil: I know the people on here who are passionate about fishing wouldn't do this. But as a reminder please take out what you take with you. Even my 8 & 9 year old siblings have enough common sense to pick up after themselves. Anyways the fishing is pretty good so get someone new out fishing with you.

·
Registered
1,024 Posts
Hoody and I went to Holmes Creek from about 12:30-4:30. We stayed on the west side and started deep at about 30'. Hoody had his camera. We didn't see much deep, a walleye, couple crappie, couple bows, none of them seemed interested in what we had to offer. So we moved closer to shore in about 12-15' of water. Hoody started picking up a lot of bows, and we began getting a lot of soft nibbles. We finally were able to land three, kept the 14" and released the two 12".
We'll have to try it in the morning.

·
Premium Member
4,931 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
A suggestion to those of you that are having a hard time keeping fish hooked.
There are a few things that I have found that causes poor hook sets.
First, your rod may be too light.
If the rod doesn't have some backbone to it, you won't get a good hook set.
Second, use good quality hooks and jig heads.
The cheep jig heads that you buy 5 for a dollor, are very poor hooks. Not very sharp and soft which could cause the hook to bend and open up. They rust very fast to.
Another suggestion to try is, use short tail jigs when the fish are not hooking up. The fish may be biting the tail and missing the hook.
I like Maniac Gizzy Bugs because they are small and you get a good hook set with them.
Try a 1/32 oz or 1/64 oz jig head with Gizzy Bugs.
Hope this helps, Grandpa D.

·
Registered
50 Posts
These fish were not even taking the bait hard though, as I watched them on my aqua vu cam. They really didn't even seem too interested in my ice cutters or gizzy bugs.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts