1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
I agree 100% with the spring bobber there is nothing better than these. I do disagree with the comment about not needing a short pole unless your in a shanty. It is more difficult to fish directly over your hole if you use a long rod, it can be done but i think a short pole is a must.

Besides what do they cost $15 bones...

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I personally only use short rods when ice fishing. Having the short rod keeps me closer to the tip, so I am able to keep a closer eye on the strike indicators, and it is easier to watch my line. Also, when fighting a fish, it is easier for me to "guide" the line away from the edges of the hole to help avoid breakoff.

I have seen a lot of people be successfull with normal rods, I just prefer the shorter ones. :D

·
Registered
1,572 Posts
FC2Tuber said:
I personally only use short rods when ice fishing. Having the short rod keeps me closer to the tip, so I am able to keep a closer eye on the strike indicators, and it is easier to watch my line. Also, when fighting a fish, it is easier for me to "guide" the line away from the edges of the hole to help avoid breakoff.

I have seen a lot of people be successfull with normal rods, I just prefer the shorter ones. :D
My point exactly, Its personal preference. I feel i can fish better with a short rod.. imo

·
Registered
6,154 Posts
No No No NO! You have to use a short rod. Otherwise you are doing it wrong. Are you telling me you can control a fish coming up through the hoe with a 7' pole, without hitting the ice. No way. Also if you are using 8lbs. line your doing it wrong. The lighter the better. 4 lbs. spider wire all the way. The heavier line will curl on the way down and when using a small jig sometimes won't go down at all. :D

1 - 8 of 8 Posts