Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
I don't really remeber what type of line I used ice fishing last year. This year I am sticking with P-line for the ice, I have heard it works grewat in the cold too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,931 Posts
I use 4# Magna Thin on all ice rigs. It had been very good line and came highly recomended by several people that spool line at the stores.
It even works great at Strawberry for me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,137 Posts
I use about any 6 lb test mono. I find the 6 lb is ideal, because since you are fishing vertically, larger lines sometimes have memory and will coil slightly, causing slack. 6 lb mono has good feel and is light enough that ice flies and small jigs take up the slack nicely. For this type of fishing I haven't bothered much with expensive lines.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
I use the same as grandpad on 4 of my ice rods. Awesome for frozen pellican bluegills as well as footballs from scofield/strawberry. Have one rod w/ 8lb that hopefully I can snag a burbot or two with this winter.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
138 Posts
threshershark said:
I use about any 6 lb test mono. I find the 6 lb is ideal, because since you are fishing vertically, larger lines sometimes have memory and will coil slightly, causing slack. 6 lb mono has good feel and is light enough that ice flies and small jigs take up the slack nicely. For this type of fishing I haven't bothered much with expensive lines.
+1

I've often considered switching to 4lb line but spend a lot of time at the berry. I don't think I've ever caught a monster big enough to warrant 6lb, but if I ever do, I don't want my line to fail me. :wink:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
225 Posts
In talking about "magnathin", I was tempted to buy some a while back at Sportsmans Warehouse until i barely pulled the 6lb test apart with my hands and it broke. Its seriously one of the last lines I would buy. P-Line is much better
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,351 Posts
I prefer 4lb test Maxima Ultragreen. Anyone who has ever used maxima knows it is ultra strong stuff and it allows me to use 4lb. instead of 6lb. yet keep the same strength. If you have ever fished for salmon/steelhead in the pac. northwest you know why they almost all use maxima exclusively.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
309 Posts
Jeremy28 said:
In talking about "magnathin", I was tempted to buy some a while back at Sportsmans Warehouse until i barely pulled the 6lb test apart with my hands and it broke. Its seriously one of the last lines I would buy. P-Line is much better
I have fished with Magnathin for at least 5 years, and have NEVER had a fish bust me off on it. That's fishing it at Strawberry 90% of the time too. I also brought a muskie to the hole at Pineview before he got off.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
889 Posts
have to agree with Tuber, never had a problem. I just replace it every fall, don't know if I really have to it's just a good way to get excited for hard water.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,000 Posts
Whatever you do, don't get "Vanish" fluorocarbon. That stuff sucks! I lost so much of my gear today on the first cast with it because of that junk.

Just a little FYI.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,572 Posts
LOAH said:
Whatever you do, don't get "Vanish" fluorocarbon. That stuff sucks! I lost so much of my gear today on the first cast with it because of that junk.

Just a little FYI.
Thanks for the tip, sorry you lost some of our gear, nothing worse than watching your stuff fly off in the distance..
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,931 Posts
Loah, did it break or did the knot come undone?
I understand that P-Line uses a special knot different than normal mono.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,000 Posts
I've actually got both P-Line and Vanish Fluoros, but the one I have the gripe with is the Vanish. Both are 10lb lines. The P-Line is great, even with a simple cinch knot.

When I reeled in the stub of the line to see whether or not is was the knot, I saw that it was split at the end. I mean seriously...How do you whip a worm on a baitholder, without other weight, hard enough to snap 10lb line?

I didn't have this problem a couple of weeks ago with the same line, but it was warmer then. I think the cold may have something to do with it. Maybe that sounds ridiculous, but there's definitely something wrong with it.

I'll buy Eagle Claw discount 10lb mono before I get another spool of Vanish. :lol:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
98 Posts
LOAH said:
I've actually got both P-Line and Vanish Fluoros
So how is that P line working for ya?
I was considering trying some, but haven't heard enough detail about it to peak the interest a little more.
I usually like the the Stren Clear Blue for all types of fishing just because I seem to have a better catch rate, (go figure).
Light limp lines are what work best for me, and when the fish bite very lightly, the line has a little stretch to it.
The fish can't feel as much resistance on the other end till it's too late.
I bought some Shakespeare Cajun Line for my Ice rod, but haven't had the chance to use it yet, but I will let you know when I get the chance. (Come on Ice, hurry up)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,000 Posts
The P-line was what I replaced with the Vanish. I've got more, but I wanted to try the Vanish.

The P-line has been great until now, but I haven't put it to freezing temps for too long yet. It worked at Scofield with lures, but I might recall losing a couple on its last outing too.

I wonder if all fluorocarbon has freezer issues.

I think I'll just get some of the "Magna-Thin" mono that everybody's talking about.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
I have had great success with the p-line in freezing temps. I use the copolymer hybrid flourclear. I don't know if that makes a difference.
I have used the magnathin before, but found it is weak. The six pound was about equal to the four pound in other brands I have used.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,000 Posts
He gave you 3 spools of it? That's more than $30.00 worth of line. Nice of him. He needs to find his way over to this forum.

Anyhow, I had the line break all over the place; above the knot, at the knot, when I looked at it wrong...

My verdict: Sucks

I've been pleased with the Low-vis Green Stren 10lb shock absorbent mono, but sometimes I'd rather feel the fish playing with my junk.

I've heard good things about YoZuri. I may look into that brand in a bit.

I always end up buying 10lb, though. I've had break offs with 10lb line, but when I've got the drag set, I can land most fish with it. I guess 10lb is my comfort line.

I'd like to know where I can find a variety of the German made "D.A.M." lines. It's good stuff. It came with my wife's birthday rod/reel combo, but I had to take it back and replaced it with a different one.

I've seen the line at Cabela's, but I think it was a different type and I could only find that. I'd love to find some of their "Golden Finesse" line. I think it comes in 4kg test (about 9.5lbs).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,496 Posts
LOAH said:
He gave you 3 spools of it? That's more than $30.00 worth of line. Nice of him. He needs to find his way over to this forum.

Anyhow, I had the line break all over the place; above the knot, at the knot, when I looked at it wrong...

My verdict: Sucks

I've been pleased with the Low-vis Green Stren 10lb shock absorbent mono, but sometimes I'd rather feel the fish playing with my junk.

I've heard good things about YoZuri. I may look into that brand in a bit.

I always end up buying 10lb, though. I've had break offs with 10lb line, but when I've got the drag set, I can land most fish with it. I guess 10lb is my comfort line.

I'd like to know where I can find a variety of the German made "D.A.M." lines. It's good stuff. It came with my wife's birthday rod/reel combo, but I had to take it back and replaced it with a different one.

I've seen the line at Cabela's, but I think it was a different type and I could only find that. I'd love to find some of their "Golden Finesse" line. I think it comes in 4kg test (about 9.5lbs).
Maybe learn the palomar knot. You'd be surprised at the great reduction in break offs. I have not had a single fish break my line since I've been using it with 10 lb test. I have fought some big fish during that time.
 
1 - 20 of 34 Posts
Top