Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
G

·
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings and Happy New Year! As far as hunting and fishing goes 2007 was pretty crappy for me. I was just too preoccupied with work and family to get out much, and when I did get out I made half-hearted attempts and the results showed. :cry: So I have made a New Year's resolution to do a better job casting and blasting in 2008! :twisted: I also want to take my kids out with me more. So I booked a cabin at Fish Lake for two nights the weekend of the 19th to introduce my kids to ice-fishing. Only problem is I have never fished Fish Lake before. :oops: I have heard many good things about it, and the list of possible species is impressive. I have caught splake at other lakes but never anything bigger than 12" or so. And I have caught some nice macks at Bear Lake and the Gorge, but never through the ice. Actually, I just want my kids to have a good time though and will probably target the perch more for faster action to keep them interested. I have heard they are caught mostly in the weed beds around the banks. Is it the same during the winter? That seems a little counter intuitive to me since my (modest) experience with catching perch through the ice at other lakes (Rockport, Echo, Pineview) has been to fish in deeper water, and to fish the shallows near the edge for trout. If anyone has any tips for fishing the hard water at Fish Lake I would be much obliged. I want to make sure the trip is a success and the kids "get hooked". Not only will this help introduce them to the pleasures of the great outdoors, it will help me get out more myself! :mrgreen: Thanks guys.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I haven't fished there in a few years but what you've heard is pretty much right. If you head just a bit South of the lodge and out to the middle of the weed bed you should be able to hook into some perch. I'm not sure on ice conditions right now though but i'd guess its close.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I checked on the ice this past Saturday and there was only 1-2 inches of ice. I would guess that another 15 days, and some cold temps and Fishlake should be fishable. Fishlake always freezes later than most lakes due to the daily noon time winds. Whenever a good ice starts to form the winds blow it off.
If you stop in at the lodge or the small grocery store before the lake, talk to Gary - he runs the lodge he should be able to give you a good idea about what to use and where to catch the perch.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts