Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I will be looking to get another tent for this hunting season and a new ice shelter is on the horizon.

What I was wondering if anyone has used an ice fishing shelter as a hunting tent.

I have a cot, so I wouldn't be sleeping on the ground.

I had a thought, why not both and use it both ways?

I know I would have to get new stakes to stake it down, but I was just curious of how this would be.

Ice tents are really easy to set up and break down compared to tents. A quality one could withstand some serious ice fishing weather - which can be like hunting weather.

The weight issue may be the only down flaw, it wouldn't be a hiking tent - it would be a base camp tent.

Just curious at the thought.

·
Registered
9,401 Posts
As long as you can lay down in it and fit without hitting your head on one end and your feet on the other I don't know why one wouldn't work.

I know that some of my neighbor kids like to play in my ice shack but then it has a floor in it and is only 6'x3'. Not quite large enough for a 6'4" man to lay down in.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
My Eskimo is a 6 man and measures 13x6ft inside. It is big enough for camping... I dont know how waterproof it would be in wet weather and it might be too hot for summer camping... but I dont see why it couldnt work.

-DallanC

·
Registered
650 Posts
I have two ice tents, a 6x6 Red Eskimo and another brand that is a black 6x12 double. The double would be large enough. Being black, it would be hot in the sun, but could work well. I have had them out in snow storms and wind. They don't leak and you can tie the sides down to withstand fairly hard winds.

·
Registered
9,801 Posts
And all the creepy crawlys out there can keep you from being lonely at night. I hate bugs, and used to zip up every thing I can in my tents when we go camping.

Now my tent is on wheels, has a toilet, furnace, AC, TV, Stove, Microwave etc etc. :D

-DallanC

1 - 5 of 5 Posts