Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Go car camping/fishing in early December, where might you go? Don't mind the cold too much, but probably want to avoid snow. My buddy wants to fish Fishlake/ Fremont area. Any thoughts?

·
Registered
980 Posts
I would go to the Green River below the gorge. Not sure where you will be coming from. But it's worth the trip that time of year. You will have the entire river to yourself. I think the campgrounds are open that time of year. I don't know for sure. I usually get a hotel room, the flaming gorge lodge has discounted winter prices, so I usually take advantage of it. I am not much of a winter camper. :lol:

·
Registered
4,002 Posts
Trauma said:
...probably want to avoid snow....
Trauma said:
...My buddy wants to fish Fishlake/ Fremont area...
Those are contradictory statements. If you want to avoid the snow, I would definitely not recommend Fish Lake. Better start looking further down the mountains, and into the valley's.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Copy the snow in the mountains, I've been trying to tell him that. I've had some emails with some cool looking places, might hceck those out!

·
Registered
629 Posts
Mexico.

I did the green in a tent last feb and it was nice. Dripping springs CG is open all year and no crowds. It was pretty cold though.

·
Registered
897 Posts
+ 1 for Dripping Springs but I have been there when it was REALLY COLD!!!!!!! To freeze a 5 gallon jug of water solid over night it has to be pretty cold. MMMMMMMMMMMMMM Sand Hollow? Depends on what kind of fishing you want. The weather will definately be warmer.

·
Registered
629 Posts
You could always do a drive down south and hit the San Juan in NM and Lees Ferry in AZ. Both are tailwater fisheries known for year-round fishing and good rainbows. I've never been to either one so I don't have any personal info.

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
+1 on the San Juan. If you go, give Chris at Rainbow Lodge a call, He's a good friend and will give you plenty of info on the river. They don't get much snow down there. (Except for last year, wow that was crazy!) It's worth the drive.

http://www.sanjuanfishing.com

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
That's a first ....Tree in Fly fishing ??? :shock: :shock:

Tree must just be an all around type of guy !!! 8)

What's next ? Pro with a fishing report ??.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
8,221 Posts
.45 said:

I grew up on Henry's Fork, kind of hard to avoid fishing.
:wink:

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
.45 said:

Since you asked for it...... :twisted:

I have fly-fished for several years on the Sevier River, and it isn't too terribly cold compared to other spots, and the fish get little pressure year round on the east fork south of Antimony.

How is that for you .45? :mrgreen:

PRO

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
proutdoors said:
.45 said:

Since you asked for it...... :twisted:

I have fly-fished for several years on the Sevier River, and it isn't too terribly cold compared to other spots, and the fish get little pressure year round on the east fork south of Antimony.

How is that for you .45? :mrgreen:

PRO
Dang it !!! You are everywhere. :shock:

And you've just identified my 'secret spot' #8.. :) :)

·
Registered
12,174 Posts
Dang skippy, I am everywhere! :twisted:

I love using a light rod with elk hairs, they seem to work year round down there. Makes it interesting when the wind picks up though. I scout for elk in the mornings and evenings, fly-fish during the mid-day. Since I go down to that neck of the woods at least once a month, I get plenty of 'fly time'. I must admit, this is the first time I have ventured into the fly fishing arena for posting, I almost feel like I am trespassing. :shock:

PRO

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
proutdoors said:
Dang skippy, I am everywhere! :twisted:

I love using a light rod with elk hairs, they seem to work year round down there. Makes it interesting when the wind picks up though. I scout for elk in the mornings and evenings, fly-fish during the mid-day. Since I go down to that neck of the woods at least once a month, I get plenty of 'fly time'. I must admit, this is the first time I have ventured into the fly fishing arena for posting, I almost feel like I am trespassing. :shock:

PRO
Well.....that make's you some sort of a 'Fly Guy'.. :evil: :evil:

I actually use a fly rod quite a bit...I really don't want anybody to know that...I like giving the fly fishermen a hard time... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
629 Posts
.45 said:
I actually use a fly rod quite a bit...I really don't want anybody to know that...I like giving the fly fishermen a hard time... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
So your magic chair is 9 feet from the TV and your remote is broken? Is that what you are saying?

·
Premium Member
8,234 Posts
ScottyP said:
.45 said:
So your magic chair is 9 feet from the TV and your remote is broken? Is that what you are saying?
9' is too flimsy, so is the 8'6". The 7'3" 3wt works the best for that... :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

·
Registered
9 Posts
A friend and I fished Lee's Ferry for the first time last May. There is only approx 1.5 miles of the river that you can access on foot. The rest of the river is reached only by jet boat, fishing the gravel bars. We fished the wading section on our own with pretty good success. We used a guide for the rest of the river - Dave Foster - Marble Canyon Outfitters. I don't know if you're up for that but if you drive that far you might consider it, otherwise, your choices to wade and fish are very limited. Just my 2 cents.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts