Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My dad just talked with one of the local sheep ranchers in the area and he told him that he had found a couple dead sheep that had been skewered with arrows. Stay classy, trespassers!

I think jail time, a huge fine, and a lifetime revocation of hunting privileges would be fitting for deeds such as this. Castration sounds like a good idea as well seeing as how society doesn't want or need people like this to breed.

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
My dad just talked with one of the local sheep ranchers in the area and he told him that he had found a couple dead sheep that had been skewered with arrows. Stay classy, trespassers!

I think jail time, a huge fine, and a lifetime revocation of hunting privileges would be fitting for deeds such as this. Castration sounds like a good idea as well seeing as how society doesn't want or need people like this to breed.
WTF, this is very disheartening, not only does it add to the cause to stop hunting but those poor sheep died for NOTHING!

·
Registered
248 Posts
We usually hunt the currant creek area for elk; we have often come across cows being shot as well. What a complete waste and disregard for the ranchers!

·
Registered
33 Posts
Talked to a rancher on Fishlake last week, he has already found two cows shot with arrows, what is wrong with people?

·
Registered
248 Posts
Oh, you can be sure they'll be turned in by us if we see them. Last one I saw however was a couple weeks old so they are most likely just shooting them for practice. (Mid-September)

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
If you are dumb or trashy enough to shoot domestic livestock and commit a crime, at least take it home and feed your friggin family with it so it isn't wasted.

·
Registered
6,717 Posts
How do we know the sheep weren't rabid and attacking those poor hunters? :shock:

Okay, I was kidding. Poor form shooting a sheep or a cow just for the heck of it, for sure. I will say that I have never thought about shooting a sheep, but the Pyrenees that was growling at me and giving me the angry eye nearly took one in the face once.

·
Registered
793 Posts

Sorry to hear this! These dirt bags should be prosecuted to the fullest extent. If I remember right it seems that killing livestock like this would actually be more severe than poaching a game animal. Not sure, but it's treated much differently. I hope they catch these idiots and throw the book at em!

·
Registered
1,609 Posts
Sorry to hear this! These dirt bags should be prosecuted to the fullest extent. If I remember right it seems that killing livestock like this would actually be more severe than poaching a game animal. Not sure, but it's treated much differently. I hope they catch these idiots and throw the book at em!
Oh yeah, they can charge them with more than just poaching, in the case of cattle they are killing a $1000-3000 animal.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
you all need to lighten up they were just practicing their 100 yard bow shots. besides how would you feel if you were putting a stalk on an animal and find some livestock blowing it for ya.

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
you all need to lighten up they were just practicing their 100 yard bow shots. besides how would you feel if you were putting a stalk on an animal and find some livestock blowing it for ya.
What if I were putting a stalk on an animal and you were hunting the same area and ended up blowing it for me? Should you get the same treatment for screwing up my oh so important hunt?

·
Registered
9,949 Posts
For the dove hunt we drove out the evening before to the spot we like to hunt, set up a tent and spent the night. Next morning at 0'Dark30 we were up and in position... decoys all set up. Jeep comes down the road, stops 75 yards from us. I swear a 300lb kid gets out, waddles over with 3 guns and a packpack, SITS DOWN 30 yards in front of me, IN MY SHOOTING LANE... wtf??? I mean I get sharing spots on BLM, but seriously, you park your fat azz 30 yards from a guy you can clearly see standing there, who beat you to the spot, and in his obvious direction of fire??? Unbelievable!

What was comical though was he apparently didnt know what direction the doves come from in the morning there... and faced the opposite direction. Several came past him I couldnt shoot at as he was in the way, but he never saw them either. Finally, he got tired of trying to see doves in his scoped gun and left after 30 min.

-DallanC

·
Registered
1,326 Posts
For the dove hunt we drove out the evening before to the spot we like to hunt, set up a tent and spent the night. Next morning at 0'Dark30 we were up and in position... decoys all set up. Jeep comes down the road, stops 75 yards from us. I swear a 300lb kid gets out, waddles over with 3 guns and a packpack, SITS DOWN 30 yards in front of me, IN MY SHOOTING LANE... wtf??? I mean I get sharing spots on BLM, but seriously, you park your fat azz 30 yards from a guy you can clearly see standing there, who beat you to the spot, and in his obvious direction of fire??? Unbelievable!

What was comical though was he apparently didnt know what direction the doves come from in the morning there... and faced the opposite direction. Several came past him I couldnt shoot at as he was in the way, but he never saw them either. Finally, he got tired of trying to see doves in his scoped gun and left after 30 min.

-DallanC
Did you say anything to him? If not you probably should have. Not to be confrontational or anything, but just to let him know he set up in a dangerous and inconsiderate place. If he had a scoped shotgun for dove, he probably doesn't know any better and didn't realize he was being a jerk by setting up where he did.

By your post on the other thread, it sounds like you did okay after he left though.

·
Registered
1,399 Posts
What if I were putting a stalk on an animal and you were hunting the same area and ended up blowing it for me? Should you get the same treatment for screwing up my oh so important hunt?
you can do what ever you feel is right at the time. just remember public land is just that public.

from my experience live stock do not usually spook away wild animals they kind of get use to them.

has for them getting shot i wouldn't put it pass some people to want to see if they can really hit something, from walking around all day and not seeing any game. the scenario i put up happens more than you really think.

·
Super Moderator
9,625 Posts

-DallanC
I had that same type of thing happen to me except I was the kid.

I was hunting deer in the Henry's back in the early 80's and knew right where I wanted to be when the sun came up. I got up a 0'dark thirty and headed to the spot a good 2 hours before the sun came up. I hiked the hill without seeing a sign of anyone. I got to my spot and sat down and got ready for a couple hour wait. A couple of minutes later I heard a voice say would you mind moving some? I turned around and found another hunter about 10 yards above me that had been there a lot longer than I had. I hiked up to him and bs for a while and then moved on to find a new spot. The next year I got up even earlier to get to my spot and I made sure that no one beat me to it.

·
Registered
382 Posts
a few years ago down by fish lake i came on to a sheep that was not doing well and probable did not make the night as it could barely stand it was the middle of the day and I wanted to put it out of its misery but had to just walk away because I did not want to be in trouble for killing it but I still wish there was something I could have done.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts