Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I had the good fortune of each having the same two days in a row off earlier this week and we decided we would make the trip down to southern Utah to get in a little bow hunting on our Zion unit. On the second morning of our day down there we were enjoying our quiet drive up the mountain when I noticed headlights behind me and gaining on me fast. In no time at all this guy was RIGHT on my bumper and sending out a clear signal that he was king of the mountain and he was going to be up there first! My wife and I don't make a habit out of road hunting other people's private property on the way up the mountain so I graciously pulled off to the side and let his royal highness pass and go ahead of me.

Probably about 10 minutes later I see headlights again this time coming back towards me. Yep. It was the same dillweed pickup from earlier this time with a camo-clad hillbilly in the bed of the pickup. I figure they must have seen a deer run across the road or something. One side of the road was a little piece of private land that is owned by my family and the other side of the road is private owned by someone else. They may have had permission to hunt the other side, but If I am a betting man I'm going to say that they probably didn't. What's more is it was 5:45 am still! They were missing that crucial element known as daylight that allows us hunters to hunt legally and ethically. But who needs daylight when you got some sumb*****n' headlights, right? I see these type of idiots all the time. Road hunting the solid wall of private ground between Highway 14 and the park, but technically not trespassing since they are on a county road. I guess as long as they can stick/blast something off the road and hurry and get it thrown in the pickup and get the hell out of there before anyone catches them then it is all on the up and up.

A short few minutes later this pickup had turned around again and was tailgating me aggressively. After seeing what these guys were and what they were all about I was a little peeved. Some of you might disagree with what I decided to do next and call me immature or a hard head or whatever, but I wasn't going to be Mr. Nice Guy this time. I took a leisurely pace down the road, not giving them any room to pass and smiled while the tailgaters choked on copious amounts of my dust. After about 15 minutes of this they finally found a wide enough spot in the road where they felt brave enough to pass me and literally less than a minute after they passed me they turned down the road to Kolob Reservoir that I wasn't going to drive down anyway.

If the idiot driving the white 4-door Dodge happens to be reading this, I hope you dolts had a very successful morning!

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have seen a lot of these types driving around. Sometimes you actually wonder just what their plans are.
My brother called the DWR on a couple hunters once who shot a nice buck on my family's property and then drug it across the fence (couldn't be bothered to put it back up even though there were cows in there). A DWR officer came up and busted them red-handed. They lied to the officer and told them that they shot the buck in the road! The officer then wrote them a very expensive ticket for shooting a rifle down a roadway. My grandpa's brother who owned the land didn't want to press charges, so a little honesty on their part could have gone a long way. 8)

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
We have experienced this same behavior the last 2 seasons, and every time they drive past our parked vehicles they feel compelled to shout out obscenities at us. I suppose they feel some sort of self entitlement to the public land they are using.

This same type of thing happens every day on the WMA's during waterfowl season. Some folks just have self entitlement complexes I think.

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
We have experienced this same behavior the last 2 seasons, and every time they drive past our parked vehicles they feel compelled to shout out obscenities at us. I suppose they feel some sort of self entitlement to the public land they are using.

This same type of thing happens every day on the WMA's during waterfowl season. Some folks just have self entitlement complexes I think.
These are exactly the kind of people we want running around with loaded firearms! -O,-

·
Registered
565 Posts
I've been literally run off the road twice already this season by people flying around blind corners on my side of the road. Luckily both times there was an open area where I didn't have to hit a tree or go off a cliff.

·
West side Utah Lake
3,905 Posts

That is why I am the guy dressed in bullet proof vest with ceramic panels, blaze orange and a bullet resistant helmet and face-shield....At Farmington Bay!!! ;-)

Reactions: phorisc

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
That is why I am the guy dressed in bullet proof vest with ceramic panels, blaze orange and a bullet resistant helmet and face-shield....At Farmington Bay!!! ;-)
My favorite part of Farmington Bay opener is putting along in my little john boat and getting surf the waves of the 2-3 boats that zip past really close at 40 mph. Multiple times. Without fail, I've seen the same guy take 4-5 trips out to the back of the main channel on opening morning from 2am-4am for years now.

·
Registered
1,430 Posts
So let me understand this... You're pissed off because said ******* drove up on you very fast, passed you, and then a short time later turned around and passed you again?
So you think now it is a good idea too.. " I took a leisurely pace down the road, not giving them any room to pass and smiled while the tailgaters choked on copious amounts of my dust." And you are thinking this is cool? The way I see it is these "********" no matter how their driving is has every right to that County Road as you do. How they use it is up to them, but because of your ROYAL HIGHNESS A-TUDE you graciously think your driving or your destination is more important then those ********? My opinion your the true idiot out there that makes it just that much more difficult for others to enjoy the outdoors in their own way. My advice to you would be.... trade your Subaru in for at least a Toyota truck and if your have a problem with people passing you hunting don't go!

·
Registered
6,827 Posts
So let me understand this... You're pissed off because said ******* drove up on you very fast, passed you, and then a short time later turned around and passed you again?
So you think now it is a good idea too.. " I took a leisurely pace down the road, not giving them any room to pass and smiled while the tailgaters choked on copious amounts of my dust." And you are thinking this is cool? The way I see it is these "********" no matter how their driving is has every right to that County Road as you do. How they use it is up to them, but because of your ROYAL HIGHNESS A-TUDE you graciously think your driving or your destination is more important then those ********? My opinion your the true idiot out there that makes it just that much more difficult for others to enjoy the outdoors in their own way. My advice to you would be.... trade your Subaru in for at least a Toyota truck and if your have a problem with people passing you hunting don't go!
TAK, you weren't, by chance, driving a white 4-door Dodge down on the Zion unit this week, were you?

·
Super Moderator
9,777 Posts
Just curious why archery are road hunting anyway
They do it all the time.

The place a couple of hunters in the bed of the truck and drive down the road. When a deer is spotted on the side of the road the two hunters jump out of the bed and the truck keeps driving, the deer pay attention to the truck and give the hunters time to stick them with a arrow.

In the OP's case it sounds like the Dodge boys were hoping to catch a deer in the headlights where the person in the back of the truck could arrow him. Why else would they be out running up and down a dirt road in the dark before legal hunting hours?

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Sure, let's ignore the facts about them 1) coming up behind, 2) returning from ahead, 3) coming up behind again, 4) all while surrounded by private property. Yup, colorcountry was the a-hole here. yup.

·
Registered
248 Posts
TAK, I think you are missing the point.

The driver of said pickup was politely allowed to pass twice. then....

"A short few minutes later this pickup had turned around again and was tailgating me aggressively."

What do you do when someone 'tailgates you AGGRESSIVELY'? Are you the type to slam on your brakes, or slow down as was done in this instance. There is not always room to allow others to pass and sometimes others need to allow some room between them and the other car in front.

I applaud the fact that he did not slam his brakes causing an accident that would be the fault of the white dodge driver, yet sometimes slowing down is also not the right answer either.

Either way, the driver of the annoying pickup is the idiot in my book. To slow down doesn't make idiot status to me, just not 100% convinced it was needed (I wasn't there). Now if he were to keep swerving as to not allow the truck to pass, that would hit idiot status.

And then you state, "you graciously think your driving or your destination is more important then those ********?"
actually you have this bass-ackwards as well; it is the, as YOU state, '********' destination that is sooooo important that they have to aggressively tailgate twice, running up and down the road.

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Color country, keep your buddy on your side of the cedar mountain. ;)
I have seen guys flying around like that a lot.
Last year we were watching a 4 by 5, 40 yards off the road. We did not have a archery tag.........
A truck with 2 in front and 4 in back flew by 3 times.
Finally chased him back into the trees and headed down the road.
They flew by us again. Thought it was quite funny.

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Ill just say this. I get where color country is coming from. The private land factor is one thing but having anxious people right on your ass with no respect for their shocks is just flat out annoying. I always pull right over and let these shock busters by. But in the dark in the early am when im trying to take care of my suspension and get to my spot before everyone else tensions get tight. With every shock buster I let past Im thinking to myself I hope you end up in the ditch or I hope you dont end up in my parking spot cuz ill be pissed. Either way no one has any control of this behavior unless someone is breaking the law. But bitching about stuff always makes one feel better I think.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts