Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
Huh. An unfortunate incident for the young man. Poachers breed poachers I guess. Glad they got caught. I would guess the bull was shot on the south cache somewhere.

·
Senior Goof
3,693 Posts
Let's finally draw an LE tag, and poach on a different unit. And they said they kid wouldn't have the opportunity again? To shoot an animal illegally??

Idiots. They didn't get a near strong enough punishment, that's why this year was an all time high for poaching. Low risk...

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
What makes you think poaching was at an all time high this year? The news? Or this website?

Reactions: bowhunt3r4l1f3

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good to see that they got caught. I have no tolerance for this kind of crap. I tuned a guy in this year for leaving about the same on a deer. Legal hunt, but totally wasted the animal. That small percentage of hunters give the rest of us a black eye. I'm interested to see how these new trophy bull hunts go during the spike hunt in those new units. I imagine there will be a bunch of trophy bulls killed on a spike tag..... No one would dare up until now because it would be such an obvious case of poaching, but no know one will know who can shoot what without actually seeing a tag.

The state really needs to step up the retribution for poaching cases!!!! Poachers are probably willing to risk it more after reading this because of the weak punishment. Mandatory year in jail, $10,000 fine and loss of hunting privileges on first offense!

·
Senior Goof
3,693 Posts
I'm interested to see how these new trophy bull hunts go during the spike hunt in those new units. I imagine there will be a bunch of trophy bulls killed on a spike tag..... No one would dare up until now because it would be such an obvious case of poaching, but no know one will know who can shoot what without actually seeing a tag.
They should have heavy game stations during this. Also, sportsman should ask to see tags when they see an animal down, Mainly a trophy bull.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
They should have heavy game stations during this. Also, sportsman should ask to see tags when they see an animal down, Mainly a trophy bull.
you definitely don't want this. Some wanna be CO coming up to people and checking them. Can of worms. and also could be dangerous.

·
Senior Goof
3,693 Posts
You better have a badge if you ask me to see my tag, unless you're offering to help pack the thing out.
you definitely don't want this. Some wanna be CO coming up to people and checking them. Can of worms. and also could be dangerous.
This is exactly why we have so many poaching incidents. No one is holding anyone accountable. If I am on a spike unit and see a 6 or 7 point bull down, I am not a wanna be CO. I am a sportsman concerned about the 1,000+ elk killed illegally every year.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
RandomElk16 ... I am surprised there wasn't a thread about this. The numbers are disgusting.[/QUOTE said:
There was. A thread about this a week or two ago.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
This is exactly why we have so many poaching incidents. No one is holding anyone accountable. If I am on a spike unit and see a 6 or 7 point bull down, I am not a wanna be CO. I am a sportsman concerned about the 1,000+ elk killed illegally every year.
call a CO and get the info from a distance. License plate, vehicle, description etc. Walking up to a group of hunters and asking for tags or what not, might not be the smartest play. I think CO's would tell you the exact same thing.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
For fear of taking a bullet like thier bull did I would not apply that strategy either. I would definelty track down a CO and give them a heads up that I came across someone with a big bull down if I was on this overlap hunt. Unfortunately, the world is full of bad people and I dont want to offer anyone the chance to bury my ass where thier bull is laying.

·
Senior Goof
3,693 Posts
Then a CO will get a call about every single legal bull taken. They may never be able to follow up, but that is an option.

Other hunters don't scare me. Not because I am a tough guy, but I have witnessed countless hunter disagreements, never seen or heard of anyone being shot. They better be dang fast though and have something other than I rifle. I always have an open sidearm.

Good question for the CO's on how they want us to respond to these new hunts.

·
Registered
1,968 Posts
Because many pointed out in that thread several likely reasons that poaching is not at an all time high.

If a CO officer doesn't file a case it didn't happen according to statistics. So in 1960 when a CO didn't file a complaint every time he came by a poacher. Does that mean there was less poaching then?

I personally think this attention to poaching is sensational and ultimately a negative for hunting.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I hear ya there. Like you commented on also. I do believe the game wardens will have a heavier presence during this hunt. More check stations and such.

·
Registered
2,443 Posts
I hear ya there. Like you commented on also. I do believe the game wardens will have a heavier presence during this hunt. More check stations and such.
This post is for random elk. My quote feature on my dumb phone failed me.

·
Registered
2,954 Posts
Then a CO will get a call about every single legal bull taken. They may never be able to follow up, but that is an option.

Other hunters don't scare me. Not because I am a tough guy, but I have witnessed countless hunter disagreements, never seen or heard of anyone being shot. They better be dang fast though and have something other than I rifle. I always have an open sidearm.

Good question for the CO's on how they want us to respond to these new hunts.
be careful out there!
There are some crazy people in the world. I love elk and elk hunting and I hate poachers. But an elk isn't worth a confrontation that could go badly in a hurry. I guarantee a CO would tell you to take down any information you can and pass it along to the proper authorities and not to go up to hunters and ask for their tags or evidence of their tags. Even if people are fully legal, a fellow hunter coming up and asking for tags, could set them off and lead to a confrontation. I'm telling you, some people are crazy. Heck there was a simple trespassing situation a decade ago, and I believe the hunter/trespasser shot 6 people. You just never know.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts