Utah Wildlife Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
So, I inquired about both the 270WSM and the 7mm not long ago as some of you may remember. Thanks for all of your advise, it really made my decision hard.
I'v decided that I'm going to build a rifle.

I am going to build a 270WSM based off a Remington 700 sps stainless action, on a bell&Carlson medalist stock, with leupold VX-6 or the VX-3, or maybe a Vortex viper hs. Im not sure yet. If I can afford it when I get to that point i may look into a huskemaw.

I'm going to put a Timney Trigger on it which brings me to a question.
So my dad's buddy builds long range guns (he'll be helping me build this gun)
He suggested to me getting a Flat blade trigger instead of the more traditional curved trigger. I trust his knowledge but, this will be my deer and elk rifle and not a competition rifle. Are those flat blade triggers good hunting triggers?
The style to me makes sense having more finger contact on the trigger with 1 direction of motion during the shot. If I explained that right. I don't know, it makes sense in my mind.

What do you guys like?

I hope to have this rifle build before deer season 2016.
Its going to be a little pricey. Thats why I'v been keeping my mouth shut lately when my wife buys something. Oh she know's i'm building the rifle but, I don't think she comprehends how much its gonna cost. That will be our secret.

thats the beautiful thing about side job money...

For all you 7MM guys. nothing wrong with the gun maybe in the future I will get one of them, it really came down to the experience amongst my family members with the 270WSM, and the particular load I want to shoot out of it is just what i'm looking for.

Thanks guys!

·
Bjorne Lou Tsar
3,340 Posts
So, I inquired about both the 270WSM and the 7mm not long ago as some of you may remember. Thanks for all of your advise, it really made my decision hard.
I'v decided that I'm going to build a rifle. Just a warning...you'll love the better feel and performance so much you'll never look at off-the-shelf rifles the same again.

I am going to build a 270WSM based off a Remington 700 sps stainless action, on a bell&Carlson medalist stock, with leupold VX-6 or the VX-3, or maybe a Vortex viper hs. Im not sure yet. If I can afford it when I get to that point i may look into a huskemaw. It's a good scope but forget the Huskemaw for reasons to long to go into here. Out of the scopes you listed, and considering you want it for longrange, I'd go with the Viper HS 4-16x50 scope. Keep an eye on samplelist.com for used or demo scopes. I've got some killer deals on their site.
I'm going to put a Timney Trigger on it which brings me to a question. My favorite trigger. Mostly because of price and the fact that they are excellent triggers.
So my dad's buddy builds long range guns (he'll be helping me build this gun)
He suggested to me getting a Flat blade trigger instead of the more traditional curved trigger. I trust his knowledge but, this will be my deer and elk rifle and not a competition rifle. Are those flat blade triggers good hunting triggers? I'm not sure why you'd want one or why anyone uses them. They just feel "off" to me. You might like them though.
The style to me makes sense having more finger contact on the trigger with 1 direction of motion during the shot. If I explained that right. I don't know, it makes sense in my mind.

What do you guys like?

I hope to have this rifle build before deer season 2016. Or maybe 2015. From the time I started ordering to the time I first shot my latest build was about two months.
Its going to be a little pricey. Thats why I'v been keeping my mouth shut lately when my wife buys something. Oh she know's i'm building the rifle but, I don't think she comprehends how much its gonna cost. That will be our secret.

thats the beautiful thing about side job money...

For all you 7MM guys. nothing wrong with the gun maybe in the future I will get one of them, it really came down to the experience amongst my family members with the 270WSM, and the particular load I want to shoot out of it is just what i'm looking for.

Thanks guys!
Good luck and keep us updated. You're going to learn a lot and have a blast doing it. Chuck.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Good luck with the build! Nothing wrong with a 270 WSM at all... I only sold mine recently to offset the cost of a 6.5 build. I've never tried a flat blade trigger - the standard Timney has been awesome though. I've got one in my Sendero 7RM and one will be on my 6.5 Sherman. I'd definitely try the flat blade out before paying to have one installed. This is the great thing about having a rifle built - you can make it exactly how YOU want it.

·
Premium Member
1,376 Posts
I'm with Longbow on the flat trigger. They feel strange. Also be sure you buy a "hunting" trigger that will go up to 2-1/2 pounds or more and has a safety.

·
Premium Member
11,689 Posts
Great cartridge. Ditto on the trigger, dont want a target trigger; way too light for actual hunting situations with heavy breathing, possible quick shots, buck fever. I look forward to seeing the updates. Even the standard Timney is miles ahead of teh stock trigger, you will like it.

Reactions: longbow

·
Registered
2,124 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for your comments guys. I will defiantly post update's on the progress of this build but it may be some time. The rifle wont be in for 6-8 weeks is what they tell me, so it will be a build little at a time. Thats why I say I want to have it done by 2016 deer hunt.

between waiting for the rifle to be shipped, hunting season coming up, and a baby in January I wont be able to just jump right on it. I have to wait for all my parts go come in then take it to my dad's buddy. I'll buy the gun and stock right away, then I'll get the trigger bought before the baby, then take it in to get put together......THEN, I have to save a little for that $900 scope.....HOLY...SHIZZ!
unless I can pull another couple side jobs in, but you know mama's gonna want her cut.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts