Utah Wildlife Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just bought a CVA Accura MR and am trying to figure out the load. What are you guys running as far as loads go? Blackhorn or IMR? What’s your exact load if you don’t mind. It’ll be for elk this year.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
Like any rifle you will have to experiment to find the load combination that works in your rifle.

I use 110 grains by volume of BH209 shooting a Barnes Spitfire T-EZ 250 grain bullet in my Accura.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
Which ever of those two powders you already have. If you dont own Blackhorn, you most likely wont be able to buy any for the rest of the year. Hodgdon bought western powders and now owns the Blackhorn Production.

Late last year Hodgdon shipped out the powder on hand Western had made, they then stated they would make one more run of Blackhorn at the start of this year and that would be the only run until 2022. That run was made, and that powder shipped out in march. Some recently showed up at Cabelas and Gunnies. Cabelas sold out in hours, and I'd imagine it was the same way at Gunnies.

There are resellers on KSL and other places selling BH209 for around $90 a can. I dont know anything about White other than it has alot of the same problems as 777.

PS: if you shoot bh209, you absolutely without fail MUST clean your ML after shooting. Its hydroscopic and will rust the hell out of your barrel in a short time. The original bottles of BH209 had advertisement that you could let your guns sit without cleaning, but with all the reports of rusted rifles and VERY unhappy smokepole owners, the new bottles had all language removed and they clearly state you must clean your ML now, and that bh209 "soot" is not a protectant.

Personally... pyrodex just always works. Swab between shots, gotta do that with BH209 anyway... its accurate, predictable, and more importantly in the covid world, its available on shelves right now.

-DallanC

·
Registered
350 Posts
Go for the authentic holy black!!!! It can be cleaned easily with water.

Dallan, I didn't know they bought western! When did that happen? I need to go find an article on it now

·
Registered
184 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I read that Blackhorn had been bought. Interesting enough, I just bought some on Cabelas website, like 5 minutes ago....here’s hoping I don’t get an email telling me it’s out of stock. I appreciate all the help. It’s interesting because CVA recommends the IMR Whitehots in their Accura s. What are the issues you all have had with whitehots or Triple 7?

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
I also bought BH209 today from Cabelas. Never used it. I'll be testing BH209, 777, and FFF black. Loose and pellets. And I'll start with what has been working for others. I think it is best to test the advice rather than starting blind.

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
I read that Blackhorn had been bought. Interesting enough, I just bought some on Cabelas website, like 5 minutes ago....here’s hoping I don’t get an email telling me it’s out of stock.
Interesting! I checked last night and there wasnt any. I bought 2 cans a couple weeks ago when it showed up for a short time. Those did arrive so I'm confident yours will as well. I'm really curious if Hodgdon got some feedback from shooters and they did another run... they stated they would only do 1 this year, but if mroe powder is showing up, its being created somewhere... either that or they didnt ship out all they made from the first run.

Either way, congrats on scoring a bottle. Cabelas is the priciest when it comes to powder compared to Scheels or Gunnies.

I appreciate all the help. It’s interesting because CVA recommends the IMR Whitehots in their Accura s. What are the issues you all have had with whitehots or Triple 7?
Well, to be fair alot of people love 777. I tried it and it was terribly inaccurate. It was as filthy as Pyrodex and required the same swabbing between shots as with Pyro. Unfortunately, even swabbing between shots groups were 2 to 3x the size of Pyro groups. IDK why... it was terrible. I gave up after a couple dozen shots, tried a test group with normal Pyro RS and got a nice 1.5" group. People next to me were using 777 as well and they couldnt keep hits on the box they were shooting, let alone anywhere near the bullseye.

I've never shot Whitehots personally, I've just read lots of other peoples postings on fouling, poor accuracy and large velocity differences over a cronograph. YMMV.

Anywho I nearly gave up on BH209 after my last outing, I'm not happy with it at all... but I like a puzzle and I'm trying to figure it out. I have 3 unopened cans and several boxes of new bullets to try and find a combo that works well as well as Pyro. I have LOTS of pyro... I mean WAY too many bottles of the stuff... so worst come to worst, I will switch back over to that.

-DallanC

·
Registered
10,047 Posts
I also bought BH209 today from Cabelas. Never used it. I'll be testing BH209, 777, and FFF black. Loose and pellets. And I'll start with what has been working for others. I think it is best to test the advice rather than starting blind.
In this heat, you will be fine with normal 209s... but come hunting time, you will want the 209Ms. I still have that partial box I traded you for... if you want / need them back hollar. I worked out a different trade and got 200 209Ms from a guy who mistakenly bought mags and needed normal 209s.

Oh, and you will need a BH209 Breech plug for that Accura. There were a bunch on Ebay for like $29 but it looks like they are all gone now. I bought one. Tate bought one he wont be using for a couple years, you could use that for now and replace it when you find them back in stock.

Also, lemme know when you want to go shoot, I need to as well and we can go out and set up an awning to stay out of the sun to prevent faces from melting off.

-DallanC

·
Registered
188 Posts

$30 Blackhorn plug for cva accura currently in stock here. It fit well in the PR.

Conversion kit for shooting large rifle primers instead of 209 primers although in not sure if it will work with previous models of accura, but might be worth looking into. Apparently there is supposed to be more consistency with rifle primers.

Another option to consider but more expensive:

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
BH209 sucks IMO. I don't see the big hype of the crap. All it did for me was cost an extra $15 for less powder and nothing but headaches trying to get it to pattern. I gave the bottle to a guy that loved the stuff a couple years ago.

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
When I got my CVA Accura .50 I tried 777, Prodex, and BH209. The Blackhorn gave me my best accuracy with the Barnes 250 grain T-EZ bullets that I was shooting along with very little velocity spread over my chronograph.

As they say, you need to find the combination of powder, load, and bullet to see what works best for you.

In my Thompson Center Triumph it is the 300 grain .501 Thor bullets over 100 grains of Pyrodex.

·
Registered
2,671 Posts
When I got my CVA Accura .50 I tried 777, Prodex, and BH209. The Blackhorn gave me my best accuracy with the Barnes 250 grain T-EZ bullets that I was shooting along with very little velocity spread over my chronograph.

As they say, you need to find the combination of powder, load, and bullet to see what works best for you.

In my Thompson Center Triumph it is the 300 grain .501 Thor bullets over 100 grains of Pyrodex.
Working loads up is the best part of the ML world IMO. I'm sure I could have played around more to get a tight group, but like my Dad would always tell me...."If it isn't broke, don't try and fix it". I've had great accuracy and killed many animals using 777 FFF and have stayed with that load for over 10 years. Works for me and my rifles, so I'm not messing with the loads anymore.

·
Registered
6,325 Posts
I always used Pyrodex RS in my .50 caliber rifles and it always patterned very well with different bullets. Anything between 85-100 grains of powder just plain worked good. As mentioned, it is dirty stuff and cleaning between every shot or two is necessary.
I have only used Triple 7 fffg in my Accura for the short time I have had it. I really like that powder, it is much cleaner burning and patterns great. I did not get the "crust ring" that others have had. I will continue to use Triple 7 with 95 grains of powder with the Hornady SST 200 gr. and the Powerbelt ELR 280 gr. bullets. (.45 caliber)

·
Registered
2,420 Posts
Last year I tried some bh209 for the first time in my wifes new Thompson Center FX Pro Hunter. I seemed to get slightly better groups with it than the pyrodex pellets I was using. I mainly wanted to try it because of people saying how clean it was. It didn't seem all that clean to me and I think the amount of cleaning it required was about on par with pyrodex. After this bh209 runs out I will probably just got back to loose pyrodex powder. A 90 grain charge seems to always give serviceably good accuracy and kills stuff deader n hell while giving you a little more shots per bottle than you'd get with a heavier load.

·
Registered
42 Posts
I used Powerbelt bullets (.50 cal) in 295 grain copper with two White Hot pellets (100 grains total charge, 50 grain/pellet) and have wonderful groups out to 300 yards! The White Hot is clean buring (better than 209, 777 or Pyrodex, of which I tested them all). My rifle is a CVA Accura with a Konus 3x9 BDC scope designed for the Accura rifle. I love them both!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts